Pasteur Champagne Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanawaggin

Reaction score
Will I need a blow off tube while using pasteur champagne yeast when I ferment some cider? I will be using a 1 gallon carboy. This is really just for my own curiosity to see how well the cider ferments and what its characteristics will be.
Thanks for you help!

Probably not.....the one time I made cider, I used the Pasteur Champagne yeast (Red Star, I think), and there was NO, as in ZERO krausen.........just little bubbles coming up.

Super! Now the question is to honey or not to honey.... I want to for the sweetness, crispness and alcohol but I'm also curious to know what the cider alone would do and how long it will take to ferment at around 65 degrees. This is my $5.50 experiment

I made my cider with the apple juice from Sam's Club, using a glass gallon jug, standard rubber stopper and airlock. I didn't do anything in particular, just pitched the yeast and set it in a corner upstairs, since it's supposed to ferment at 70F. It started fermenting right away, although (as I implied in my previous post) it was kinda hard to tell. If I looked very closely, I could see very teeny bubbles rising. After a month or so things had been quiet in there for a while, and since I was bottling a batch of beer I just went ahead and bottled the cider. I used carb tabs to condition, and let it sit in the basement for about 3 months.

The results were pretty underwhelming. Nice carbonation, the cider was clear....but it tasted like a very, very dry white wine with a barely detectable apple flavor. Haven't made any more.
The only other thing I've done with apples was a 3-gallon batch of Graff (see Cider forum), which I liked better......but still not enough to make any more.

Back