16 month fermentation? Still ok or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threadman

Reaction score
I forgot to bottle some beer I brewed awhile back. It has been fermenting for over 16 months now. I was wondering if it is still ok to bottle or do I need to just chalk it up as a loss?
Thanks for any suggestions you have.

I forgot to bottle some beer I brewed awhile back. It has been fermenting for over 16 months now. I was wondering if it is still ok to bottle or do I need to just chalk it up as a loss?
Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Wow.......Not sure on this one.........

What has it been sitting in? Cuz that's what it has been doing for like 14-15 out of those 16 months...just sitting lol.

Who knows man? Bottle it up and see what happens.

Smell it first. If it smells decent, taste it, if it doesn't taste horific bottle it...

Is it in primary or secondary? If its on a yeast cake you may get off flavors. If you racked to secondary and forgot about it, then it might taste just fine. Either way, I'd be temped to bottle it if a sample tastes OK.

If it's been on yeast that entire time then I'm betting it looks, smells and tastes like Gorilla Schidt!!!!! But I've been wrong before. If it's okay, well there's your answer about autolysis...

Autolysis is worried about too much. If it smells terrible, pitch it. If it doesnt, taste it, if it tastes ok, bottle it. If it tastes just a little off, blend some nice vanilla beans and burbon.

That is one hell of a bender to forget your beer for 16 months. Kudos!

I am voting with the tastes like gorilla sheet club.

I'm here since august 2009, and I read a lot of threads in here to educate myself... and I never, ever read someone who had an autolysis problem.

So smell it, taste it and if it's OK, bottle it. I bet it will be fine.

If you're going to bottle it, I'd look into adding more yeast. I doubt yours are very active at this point. I'll bet it is ok, though. Hopefully it was something more malty.

Back