dark dme or light dme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
So I am about to start my stout and have been doing some research and have come up with a conflict. If I use Black patient and roasted barley to stepp should I use light or dark dme, I plan on 1/2 lbs of each. I have read that the grains will add the color so use the light and also have read to use the dark and the grains. So what should I do or does it matter?

Seeing as you are an extract brewer, it really doesn't matter what lme you use; the grains will add most of the color. You will be fine with either one.

I would have to see your recipe, but with the grains you would be fine use ing the light. The dark DME will make a a darker beer with those grains. The dark DME also has, from what I have read, more non fermentables in it. I always use light or exstra light or pale DME . I let my Grain bill set my color. But do it how you want thats the awsomeness of brewing do it your way.:mug:
Eric

I would have to see your recipe, but with the grains you would be fine use ing the light. The dark DME will make a a darker beer with those grains. The dark DME also has, from what I have read, more non fermentables in it. I always use light or exstra light or pale DME . I let my Grain bill set my color. But do it how you want thats the awsomeness of brewing do it your way.:mug:
Eric

.5# roasted barley
.5# black patent
.5# flaked barley

6-7# DME??? not sure light or dark

2oz Northern Brewer-60
.5 williamette-20
.5 williamette-10

1oz licorice root-20

safale-04

Latest posts

Back