Favorite way to bottle....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanJE

Reaction score
Are you a fan of the good old 12oz curls or something else, and why?

And I know some will say kegs but were talkin bottles here! See=>:tank:

So far all I've done is 12oz bottles, but I'm building up a collection of 500mL and 750mL bottles. Once I have enough, I'll do some batches with those.

When I bottle I use one PET bottle to feel test for carbonation, then 6 12oz for taste testing then the majority 500ml and a few 750ml an 1000ml for when I'm thirsty.

When I bottle, I personally like the 12oz bottles but I hate the effort. If I bottle all in 22oz types I drink the batch down too fast. A combo of sizes is nice to have.

desertBrew said:
When I bottle, I personally like the 12oz bottles but I hate the effort. If I bottle all in 22oz types I drink the batch down too fast. A combo of sizes is nice to have.

And thats a problem because?? ;)

Swing-tops are the best, although they are pricey if you have to buy them. Otherwise, a combo of 22oz bombers and regular 12oz bottles is nice. If it's something really big, or something that I know SWMBO won't drink, I try to stick to 12oz bottles.

I go for half 12oz glass and half 16oz PET.

12oz Glass is for when I want to drink a variety in one night or give a friend a mixed 6er to go.

16oz is when I'm sticking to one kind all night, shipping to a friend (no breaky), or if I'm sampling with someone, ie 8oz in each glass.

the_bird said:
Swing-tops are the best, although they are pricey if you have to buy them. Otherwise, a combo of 22oz bombers and regular 12oz bottles is nice. If it's something really big, or something that I know SWMBO won't drink, I try to stick to 12oz bottles.

Oh yea, I like using flippies too. I don't have that many though and they're usually filled with various strains of yeast slurry. They work great for saving yeast.

I bought about 5 cases of Grolsch bottles ( I love them!), which are 16 ounce. I use those mostly (I happen to think 16 ounces is about perfect for a beer and I like the swing caps), but I also use some 12 ounce bottles for swapping/sharing and a few 22 ouncers. My math skills suck, so sometimes I sanitize way too many bottles, or too few, but I like having different sizes available.

Lorena

lorenae said:
My math skills suck, so sometimes I sanitize way too many bottles, or too few, but I like having different sizes available.

Lorena

calculators work great for just that reason!

I have some 12oz'ers and some 22oz'ers. I may invest in some 32oz flip tops though.

I have a bunch of friends who drink alot, and they have other friends who drink alot. Hehehe. So, I get lots of used bottles, and spend lots and LOTS of grueling hours removing labels and getting them sparkling clean. NOT easy, especially with bastard breweries (sorry, I love your beer, but your labels are a HUGE PITA to remove) such as Brooklyn and Bell's. Anyway, I have a large assortment, a hodgepodge. Each batch I try to do a case of 12's, and the rest in assorted larger bottles. I like the 1L growlers for when I have company. The 16oz German-style bottles are great for 2 people, as are the 22's. You should see some of the crazy bottles I've got, though. The ones that piss me off are, for example, Adnams...since i have a butterfly-style capper, the fact that their "grabbing lip" is so low means I can't use them. Grrrr.

My favorite way to bottle is in the stainless 5 gallon variety. If I'm using glass, I like the 16 oz flip tops...unless I'm giving gifts, then it's good ol' 12 oz-ers and bottle caps.

Latest posts

Back