WOW - some of AHB kits have gone up 25%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I have a spread sheet of all their kits and some have REALLY gone up in price!!

$49.99 to 59.99

Looks like the average is about 15% - I thought they were having a sale ?????

BTW - I love that place - just surprised - that's all. Awesome customer service.

I just opened an email that says they lowered prices.

'Holiday Season is officially here and we are offering some great savings.

We have lowered are prices on our grains, hops, and our beer recipes. We are also offering FREE shipping on all wine kits.

Sales and Specials

Lower Prices
You can now stretch your dollar even further this season because we have lowered our prices on our hops, grains, and our recipes.'

Haven't looked-never 'kit-ted'.

Spend the cash on Beersmith and a grain mill and WRITE YOUR OWN.

Their prices went up about 6 months ago too. Strange thing, when the price of transportation increases, so do the prices of products. When land that would normally be used to grow cheap barley is taken over by corn growers, the price of barley goes up. When there are hop blights, and supply is limited, the price of hops goes up. It's strange how that works. If you expect a BUSINESS to absorb costs that are beyond their control, you are dreaming. Things get more expensive. The best thing to do is vote with your wallet. When a kit that I enjoyed a lot went up in price, I spent $30 on beeralchemy and started making my own recipes. I save money and can tailor them to fit my tastes.

I'm not complaining - just that my stats are from 2 months ago AND they are having a BIG sale and the prices are up over 10% with one kit 25% more? I hate to think what they were BEFORE the sale.

BTW price of transportation has decreased from 6 months ago, and hops prices have decreased. We are in deflation.

Quite a bit of complaining today, eh Grinder? Two posts dedicated to complaining in one day? ;)

BTW price of transportation has decreased from 6 months ago, and hops prices have decreased. We are in deflation.

While transportation costs have come down, merchandise costs will remain high for a time as manufacturers try to make up their margins.

And before this turns into one big speculative witch-hunt, let Forrest chime in, Please.

Are you sure you are comparing the right numbers/recipe kit-type?

These threads always devolve into reactionary vendor bashing, so be sure of your facts and figures.

While not exactly on topic, in my experience (4-5 kits) the kits from AHS come out the same or a bit cheaper than if you bought everything separately. I do not think they are making any additional money of selling them as kits.

While not exactly on topic, in my experience (4-5 kits) the kits from AHS come out the same or a bit cheaper than if you bought everything separately. I do not think they are making any additional money of selling them as kits.

Yeah, all of the kits that I buy are CHEAPER than if I buy the ingredients separate (at B3)... Id throw my own together, but they would cost me more.

I still see no proof. Where is this spread sheet? Your accusing AHB of raising prices when they should have because "transportation prices have gone down". Well talk about if they are warranted after you show us the spreadsheet you have allegedly made.

How do you want it. I've sent it to a number of people - it's all the clones AHB have rated by Style and Beer Advocates rating with price as of two months ago (approx).

Looks something like this but on columns (my whole life is a spread sheet - I'm an xml junky)

CLONE is it is in BYO Mag.

B Alt Alaskan Amber 34.99
A American Double Imperial IPA Stone Ruination IPA 49.49
A American IPA Two Hearted Ale (Bell's Brewing) 40.49
A American Pale Ale Three Floyds Alpha King CLONE
A American Stout Rogue Shakespeare Stout 43.99
A Hafeweizen Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (Bayer Staats Brauerei) 25.99
A Hefeweizen Live Oak Hefeweizen 29.99
A Maibock Hellsbock Harpoon Spring Maibock 43.49
A Old Ale Thomas Hardy Ale (Eldridge Pope) 80.49
A Quadruple Rochefort 10 67.99
A Russian Imperial Stout Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout (North Coast) 69.49
A Tripel 9% ABV La Fin du Monde (Unibroue) 43.99
A- American Barleywine Rogue Old Crustacean Barley Wine 64.99
A- American Barleywine Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barley Wine 68.99

And BTW if you read the OP - I did say I LOVED AHB and their customer service is outstanding AND I will continue to purchase from them. No beef - just surprised.

Also - I buy kits so I can see what they use in the clone so I can then tweak.

Is that ALL their kits? Or did you just post the ones that have increased and had the highest increase. You said you had an xml of all the kits lets see that.

They have 203 wonderful clones - do you REALLY want me to post all 203 or are you just trying to tweak me. I'm not going to post an entire spread sheet online!! daa!

Do you actually read my posts?? or are you skimming so fast because you want to attack me further.

I wrote - Looks something like this

I'm done with the subject.

You can flame me all you want.

Outta hear!

The prices of grain and hops have stabilized and the fuel charges for shipments have come down. We are in the process of lowering all of the prices. I have someone working full time on lowering prices. The info you have are old prices. Some kits are going down quite a bit.

Lowering all of these prices is a monumental task. The recipe kits have taken 2 weeks already and they should be finished next week.

No need to post a spreadsheet of old prices.

Forrest

An average increase of 15% is pretty significant. Possible but significant. You said some as much as 25%. Again Im not saying its not possible or that its not true but claiming it doesnt make it true. A spreadsheet can also be made to say anything. Again not saying you would falsify a spreadsheet to prove your point but it could be done.
Was that nice enough? Anti flaming enough?

Why would one take the time to record the price of every kit for an online retailer and consider attaching a file too much work?

I'd like to apologize to Forrest publicly. I consider AHB a gem and his customer service is outstanding. The kits are great.

The reason for the spread sheet was not to check prices but to just get a list of all their clones on one sheet. Since they could not provide one I cut and pasted all of them which included price which I did not really care about.

I understand completely about price fluctuation and think beer isa good deal no matter what the price. I was not complaining about raising prices - I was just surprised, that's all Iand confused with the current "sale" going on.

Peace out.

If anyone wants a copy of the spread sheet PM me.

Back