Oh no! DMS from priming??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyjumpup

Reaction score
Hello all.
I bottled a batch of American brown ale recently and it tasted fantastic at bottling. It was hoppy, dry, and surprisingly clean considering that it is an ale and that the ambient temp overshot 80F for a while in my fermentation closet for a few hours within the first 3 days of fermentation, I thought I might have ruined it right there. I primed it with some light DME, using a priming calculator, and bottled away.
Now, checking at one week (I know it's too early, but I was just curious to see how things were going) I was greeted by a nicely frothy beer reeking of butterscotch and tasting like candy. I know that much of the sweetness will pass as the DME is used up over the next couple weeks, but is there any chance that some of the DMS will go away? Is there any thing I can do about it? And finally, was this caused by the DME that I used for priming? As I said, at bottling there was no sign of off flavors (I tested about a cup of it) and no odor other than that of a great brown ale.

Many thanks, and cheers!

That's not DMS- it sounds like you're talking about diaceytl.

Diacetyl is cleaned up by the beer in primary, normally. It can be caused by stressed yeast, or by infection. After bottling, it tends to get worse and not better but you could try aging it and see if it improves.

In low amounts, diacetyl is more of a slick mouthfeel, or an oiliness on the teeth or tongue. My guess is that it was present at bottling, but not flavored like butterscotch and in a much less amount than it is now, and that's why you didn't taste it earlier.

Back