good sub for Sorachi Ace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickman6

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew tomorrow and can't get any sorachi ace locally.

Is there something else I could use?

Grain bill:

85% pils
15% rice

Low bitterness, only about 17IBU

Zythos was recommended, but I've never used either of these before so idk.

Cascade? I have half a pound in the freezer.

Thanks!

Maybe Super Alpha or Southern Cross from NZ. Possibly Citra but the lemon flavors of Citra is a little different than that of Sorachi Ace and fades faster.

I really don't think anything will taste like Sorachi Ace. Is there a reason you can't just order Sorachi Ace and brew something else tomorrow?

Nothing is going to be similar to Sorachi Ace...NZ Motueka is the closest I've tasted, though it tends more towards lime than lemon.

Also, if you're looking for Sapporo, why would you be adding Sorachi? It would typically use a noble variety of hops.

Nothing is going to be similar to Sorachi Ace...NZ Motueka is the closest I've tasted, though it tends more towards lime than lemon.

Also, if you're looking for Sapporo, why would you be adding Sorachi? It would typically use a noble variety of hops.

Its my understanding that Sapporo developed Sorachi for their beers, no? I'm shooting in the dark with this one, I don't really know and haven't been able to find much online to go off of.

If in fact Noble would be correct, how would Spalt work out? I have almost a pound of that as well.

Maybe time to visit the local market for some hands on research lol.

Sorachi Ace isn't anything like what you'll taste in regular Sapporo in spite of them developing the hop. If you want a Sapporo taste, I would just go with a noble hop like you suggested. Spalt should be fine. Maybe an ounce for bittering and an ounce split up as two late additions to get you to your target IBUs.

Sorachi Ace isn't anything like what you'll taste in regular Sapporo in spite of them developing the hop. If you want a Sapporo taste, I would just go with a noble hop like you suggested. Spalt should be fine. Maybe an ounce for bittering and an ounce split up as two late additions to get you to your target IBUs.

Ok, thanks. I'm tasting one now, and I think you guys are right. I don't taste any lemon, or any citrus for that matter.

I'll go with the Spalt.

Thanks all for your help!

Back