Best / worst commercial beer labels and brewery logos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
Do you think there are good beers with really bad label designs?
I like Two Hearted Ale, but I think their label sucks.
Rouge Brewing labels suck - except for Dead Guy, which is cool.
Badass - bad beer, good label.
Stone - good beers with very good labels. I wonder if Stone could get so popular without these labels?

Personally, I think Flying Dog has some of the best labels out there AND great beers. I mean, how can you go wrong with a slogan like " Good beer, no shyt" :)

I think Stone has a really strong label and great beer to go along with it. I think they have done an amazing job on the marketing side of things which has no doubt helped them to become what they are. Not to mention that their brewery outside and in in just badass! I love all the stonework and details that they put into building the place. I also really like Firestone Walker's logo and label designs.

I really like Victory's labels, and most of their brews for that matter! Agree that Bell's beers are good but dislike the labels.

I also really like Firestone Walker's logo and label designs.

I really like the simplicity and class of their logos. I am more of a "keep it simple" type when it comes to labels, maybe more along the lines of a wine label. Some labels just have so much going on that it is cheesy and borderline unprofessional IMO.

Irish death from iron horse brewing has a nice simple skull and crossbones on it. And the beer is amazing.

I really like the simplicity and class of their logos. I am more of a "keep it simple" type when it comes to labels, maybe more along the lines of a wine label. Some labels just have so much going on that it is cheesy and borderline unprofessional IMO.

Agreed. Any yes, Firestone's label is pretty classy with the oak barrels and all. I think that's what I like so much about it. Simple, classy and of course really good beer.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't like the label for Pliny, reminds me of a 70's label design.

Not big on Magic Hat beers really, but I generally think their artwork is decent.

Stone is definitely good beer and good art.

See I'm the opposite on Firestone Walker's labels. That design works for the Double Jack for me but I think the Union Jack & DBA labels are terrible. I know it's silly, but I do sometimes judge a beer by its label and I never would have tried their beers if I hadn't had the Union Jack in a bar or otherwise heard of it. I'm thankful that I did try it though as that's one of my all-time favorites and the Double Jack is right up there too.

I like Green Flash labels and I think the new bottles are cool too. I think my favorites are the North Coast labels, especially the Brother Thelonious, the Red Seal, and Old Rasputin. Also really like SN's Bigfoot label.

Unibroue has awesome beer and awesome labels.
I like the Nectar Ales beers as well as their labels. They are themed, with various hummingbird designs.
Terrapin has some very neat looking labels...they look like comic book covers.

See I'm the opposite on Firestone Walker's labels. That design works for the Double Jack for me but I think the Union Jack & DBA labels are terrible. I know it's silly, but I do sometimes judge a beer by its label and I never would have tried their beers if I hadn't had the Union Jack in a bar or otherwise heard of it. I'm thankful that I did try it though as that's one of my all-time favorites and the Double Jack is right up there too.

I like Green Flash labels and I think the new bottles are cool too. I think my favorites are the North Coast labels, especially the Brother Thelonious, the Red Seal, and Old Rasputin. Also really like SN's Bigfoot label.

I've only seen the double jack so that is what I base that off of...I would also rank several of the homebrew labels from our "show your label" thread up there as my favorites...we got some class-act homebrewers on here!

I think the best label period is Odell's IPA. They're entire lineup is consistently creative though. I also love the new label designs by Left Hand.

I really dig Sierra's Ruthless Rye label. The winter release and the muted colors and hard shadows really speak to me. Being that I'm one of the few that actually enjoy the gloom, cold, and quiet of winter. Plus, I'm a geek and its comic bookey. lol

I like Rogue's labels as well as any brand that has busty cleavage on their labels. Milwaukee's best gets my least favorite vote because it brings back bad college hangover memories.

I also like Two Brother's labels in that they are really easy to peel off for homebrewing purposes! Plus they make good beer also.

I've always thought Anchor's labels were awesome. The labels play up the historic aspect of the brewery as well as the nautical/sailing aspect of the history of the area.

Ralph Steadman's artwork on Flying Dog labels are some of my favorite, but I also love Anchor's simplicity. Sorry, but I have to disagree with the popular opinion on Stone's labels so far. I feel that their labels are to, "Ed Hardy" designed.

As far as not so great beers with good design, I think National Bohemian, out of Baltimore has marketed the "Natty Boh" man to regional fame. If you do not know who the Natty Boh man is yet, you will.

I absolutely love 21st amendment's cans. It is a refreshing look for a can. It sure is busy though.

FFF probably gets my vote for the best label designs. Their stuff is very artistic and interesting.

Worst would definitely be Weyerbacher - their logos and label design look like they were made with Kid Pix.

My favorite labels are Jolly Pumpkin - great art work that's never cheesy (to me at least). Each bottle has really unique art, and then you open it and get to savor the deliciousness inside - win/win.

Worst would definitely be Weyerbacher - their logos and label design look like they were made with Kid Pix.

Agreed. Sad to say, but I have definitely chosen Victory over Weyerbacher because of their logos/label design before.

Funny because I think Two Hearted label is great while Stone and Flying Dog are pretty terrible. All of Bell's labels are great to me.

To each their own though.

Edit:meant to say flying dog, not dogfish head. While DFH labels are simple, I still Like them.

Funny because I think Two Hearted label is great while Stone and DFH are pretty terrible. All of Bell's labels are great to me.

To each their own though.

I agree with the Bell's labels. How can you go wrong with the Hopslam label and artwork?

Definitely Weyebacher for the worst. They really do look like they were done in MS paint, some of them, which is a shame because they make some great beers (their quad is one of my favorites). DFH labels tens to be plain, which I don't mind, except for the 750ml bottles. Some of that art is funky.

Back