Label Critique/Help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNinja1

Reaction score
So let me start off by saying I dont have an artistic bone in my body. I can look at stuff and be in awe because I know I will never have anything so cool. So I basically have to steal others work. My Badger was ripped from the web, as well as the bottle. I put them together though! And I cut out the badger from his background. LOL. I do have the ability to fumble my way through Adobe Illustrator though (Im an IT guy with access to lots of fun programs). So its pretty basic, and since I cant do art I needed something that I could just change the writing on and call it a day. Here is that creation. Im thinking I could change the red background to some sort of image to spice it up..but dont know what. Any suggestions?

bbb.gif

I like it. I think it looks pretty good as is. Simple is often better, you could change the background color for each brew maybe...

I have to do the same thing. I have watched some tutorials on photoshop, and I understand technically what is being done, but I don't seem to have whatever it takes to create artwork for my brews. :( Turns out I am an accomplished collageist though.

I'm in love with your font. If it is a font, that is, I would love to know which one you used, but it looks like you did it by hand. Love the label. I think a background can help exploit that "bad to the bone" or "intense" badger kind of look. :mug: I think I'll leave these backgrounds here...

badger1.jpg

badger2.jpg

Those backgrounds rock! So where did you grab them from? Or is that some technique you used to create it? And after seeing the beer in his mit, I might have to change that up for special beers and put different things in there. I think the drop shadow on the badger looks cool too. Im going to have to do that.

The font I found by accident actually. I got it on dafont.com. I was just looking at the new fonts and thought it looked really great. Only bad part is there are no numbers =(
http://www.dafont.com/angel-tears.font Its called angel tears.

Those backgrounds rock! So where did you grab them from? Or is that some technique you used to create it? And after seeing the beer in his mit, I might have to change that up for special beers and put different things in there. I think the drop shadow on the badger looks cool too. Im going to have to do that.

The font I found by accident actually. I got it on dafont.com. I was just looking at the new fonts and thought it looked really great. Only bad part is there are no numbers =(
http://www.dafont.com/angel-tears.font Its called angel tears.

I created the background myself using Illustrator and Photoshop. View this thread I started where we recommend free resources for graphics and photos. Most of the resources are in the first post, so you don't have to go clicking around the pages reading arguments about copyrights/borrowing/stealing.

I already have both programs. Do you know what its called to make those kind of designs? Id like to find a tutorial on how to do it. If not no big deal. Thanks!

There isn't exactly a tutorial, but the grunge-style splashes and brushes in the background is something you can find in illustrator, or anywhere online.

In Illustrator, in the Brush Palette, you can view all of your different types of brushes, and draw with them using the pen tool. Make the stroke size really really large. The small circle with the right pointing triangle in the upper right will allow you to see many more types of brushes. From calligraphy to charcoal to water color and speckles...
doodle_tut10.jpg

You can then copy and paste the new graphic into photoshop after you've drawn it in illustrator, that is, if you prefer working in photoshop.

Some of which I use frequently for my labels. You open them up in Illustrator, and use what you want. Copy and paste them between programs, change colors, whatever. This is basically what they look like when you open them up in illustrator, also, this is the exact group I used when designing my last label, as well as your background. Download here:

vectorgrungebackgrounds.jpg

Wow...thanks for the mini-tut! Ive always wondered how to do that, now I know! (and knowing is half the battle...heh)

Thanks again! You rock!

Wow. That badger rocks. And the overall design of the label is fantastic, too. Three thumbs up.

Wow...thanks for the mini-tut! Ive always wondered how to do that, now I know! (and knowing is half the battle...heh)

Thanks again! You rock!

FWIW, (I didn't check the other thread for the resources listed) cgtextures.com is a great resource for background estures, and for textures to make brushes, which is fairly easy.

Oh, and it is free to sign up.

Back