it finally happened. we're legally a brewery!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The federal government paperwork at last came in and we are ready to brew our first professional batch hopefully this Saturday,weather permitting. I'm pretty excited. Its been almost 2 years in the making.

Cheers!!!!!!
you fulfilled the dreams of many of us best of luck with your endevour
Hopefully someday i will buy a bomber of beer from you from a local store!!!!

The federal government paperwork at last came in and we are ready to brew our first professional batch hopefully this Saturday,weather permitting. I'm pretty excited. Its been almost 2 years in the making.

You can get licensed, AND still brew outdoors?

No. We have 2000 sq ft but its a 2 hour drive from me. Richmond IN. If we get 8 more inches of snow this week I may get stuck on the drive. We have a 3bbl setup.

OHHH, that is a long drive bro!!

Richmond, IN eh? Hrmmmm close.

Ill post pics now that I got my fancy phone. We have 2 80gallon steam kettles and we got that 90 gallon coffee pot that was at the free Mason place in ft Wayne. It was posted in the classifieds a few months back. We will be using 4 x 106 gal. Closed top wine tanks as fermentaters.

Congrats! Only an hour from me. Hopefully I will be able to pick up some of you brews eventually.

We will be brewing an apa for this batch that way if we get any small off flavors from either process or water etc, then it will get masked somewhat. We will also be brewing a brown and cream ale in future weekends. (Have to keep the day job as any money we make goes straight towards bills.) With any luck we will be breaking even at the least.

I'll bring you a corny to fill!?!? Is that possible? I'm assuming you're kegging and distributing to bars in Indiana yourself? Let me know. I'm close enough to support the cause.

Great Job, I'll definetly support you when i can buy your beer locally.... or... you can ship me a corny to alaska right now :rockin:

Can you tell us more about the process you had to go through, etc?

Each state is different, but you can find the federal requirements online. Basically you need a location then you can apply. Your required to have a bond. State required us to have one as well. Next you buy and install your equipment. After that its just health, building, atf inspections and waiting around for the paperwork to be processed.

Oh, that's great news!

I'm happy for you. Make sure you take plenty of pictures for us, so we can see your brewery. Maybe the next time I visit you, I can visit you in the brewery!

I went to college in Richmond. If you're able to do any retail, you should get some response from the local college folks.

Cheers!

Excellent! Don't forget to send clone recipes to austin homebrew for us out-of-towners.

Is it safe to assume that Indiana is easier to open a brewery than Ohio? I realize Richmond is closer than Ft Wayne, but not by much. What made you choose the smaller Richmond market?

From what I understand it is more difficult for Indiana. They required a $10,000 bond. Fed only required $1000. My brewing partner lives close to there and he took care of all the paperwork. I just tried to support where I could.

Is it safe to assume that Indiana is easier to open a brewery than Ohio? I realize Richmond is closer than Ft Wayne, but not by much. What made you choose the smaller Richmond market?

Richmond actually had the first brewery in the state. The town was formed in 1816ish and the town clerk Ezra Boswell owned a brewery and gingerbread shop. That's who we named ourselves after. We had to be in Indiana for certain reasons and it was either there or muncie. Richmond's was just.more convienient for me as its under two hours and all interstate. We will distribute to surrounding areas as well.

Congrats!! If I ever make it back down to my college town (Bloomington) I'll have to see about making a side trip on over to you guys. Good luck!

Congrats! That is awesome. I just left that general area last year. If I am ever back I will definitely be looking for your brew!

Congrats Mirilis, you are living many of our dreams and we all wish you the best of luck and be sure to keep us posted how everything goes.

Chromados

Back