Confusing Instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truenewbrew

Reaction score
My brew kit instructions read...

"Allow the beer to settle for 3-4 days after fermentation ceases (no more bubbles in the airlock). Generally, you'll be ready to bottle a week after beginning fermentation"

It has been over a week for me, and the airlock is bubbling ever so slightly. I thought you were supposed to bottle while some fermentation is still active so that the priming sugar can be converted still. If I wait until there are "no more bubbles" doesn't that make the bottle conditioning ineffective? I am tempted to bottle now while there are still slight signs of fermentation... any help??

DO NOT BOTTLE WHILE YOUR BEER IS STILL FERMENTING!

(unless you like bottle bombs)

I usually wait a week or two after the krauzen falls and my hydrometer tells me the beer is no longer fermenting before packaging.

There will still be plenty of yeast in suspension to effectively carbonate your bottles 4-5 days after "the bubbles stop". In fact, if you wait 1-2 weeks after primary fermentation has ceased you will not only have plenty of yeast to bottle condition, you will end up with better beer as well

fermentation stops when the sugars are gone. the yeast don't go away or die when this happens. there are still plenty of yeast floating around in your brew. when you add more sugar the yeast still in suspension wake up again and eat this new sugar.

many of us wait 2-3 weeks after pitching before bottling. and believe me by that point fermentation has long since stopped.

Back