How Slow is Too Slow.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howabouttheiris

Reaction score
Really did not want to be the starter of a 'will it ferment or should I repitch' thread, but on batch #2 I have a issue.

Details:

Temp is 71.
Light Canadian Style (4%) ale from extract, partial boil.
1st batch finished in 5 days (same as above), tasted great

2nd batch was set 6 days ago. The fermentation is only about 15% complete. It never seemed to get going. At no time did it ever produce an airbubble in the airlock, in fact the 3 piece did not ever lift off the thru-tube. There is a small scum ring, there is some settled solids on the bottom, there is visable condensation, there is visible CO2 bubbles on the perimeter of the surface, there is visible CO2 on the walls of the primary, smells fine, no sign of infection or issue.

Repitch to help it along..... leave it be?

I have another primary, so it will not kill my pipeline to wait, but I am scared that the slow fermentation will eventally lead to O2 exposure and a waste.

Went from 1.040 to about 1.032 in 6 days. Due to suspended CO2, I suspect it will continue.

Well, it's slow but now that it's going, it should go faster.

It sounds like you either didn't pitch enough yeast, or didn't pitch enough healthy yeast at the beginning. The yeast has to reproduce before getting to the business of fermenting. Once it gets going, though, it usually finishes up just fine and doesn't stall out. More yeast at this point wouldn't help- the yeast have already reproduced and gotten started, so waiting is the best step right now.

I like that your definition of "Canadian" seems to be that it's a low alcohol beer. Eh? EH?

71 is a little high temperature-wise, but that shouldn't SLOW fermentation any. And, although yeast can definitely take their time, 6 days is a long time for less than 0.010 change in gravity.

I'd say repitch, especially if you're using an inexpensive yeast. It won't hurt.

So.... I go back to check today. From opening the lid 3-4 days ago, the condensation has eased, the bubbles on the edge were all but nonexistant, and the SG only down a few 1/1000s. Smelled fine, but resembled still pond water.

Threw in more yeast, gave it a swirl and put it aside for another week.

Uncertain if the swirl was a great idea, it clouded up bad. I figure it will settle and may actually get some of the old yeast resuspended. It also "dislodged" the suspended CO2 and hopefully purged all O2 from the opening.

Meanwhile batch 1 is quickly disappearing and batch 3 bubbles happily along.

If batch #3 finishes first, you might consider dumping the cake into batch #2. The extra yeast would help.

Would you recommend transfering the wort from Batch#2 primary onto the yeast cake in the Batch #3 primary once the Batch #3 wort has been moved to secondary? (thus eliminating most of the current yeast all together)

OR

Just transfer the yeast cake?

Back