Homemade Commercial Style Fermentation Bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trenchant

Reaction score
I have beer fermentating in a glass carboy primary right now and I'm just thinking about how much more convenient it would be to have a fermentor like commercial places do.

I don't imagine it would be too hard to cut the bottom off of a bucket and plastic sauder a funnel on the bottom. From there you could attach a simple valve to empty out a fermenting bucket from the bottom.

So when you wanted to go to secondary fermentation you would simply put a waste bucket under the fermenter and open the valve. Then close the valve when clean beer comes out. It would make transfering to a keg that much easier as well.

Actually if you found an oversized funnel and cut a circle out of the bottom of a bucket slighly smaller then the diameter of bucket you would have a lip. The funnel could sit in that lip and then seal it all up by saudering it. that way you would have a lot more guaranteed strength just like replacing floor pans on an older car.

Go to www.usplastic.com they have a 320 page catalog with everything in plastic you can ever think of. Once your in their catalog find the search; type in, Inductor Cone Bulk Storage Tanks. As Posted above on the conical fermenter the usplastic.com has conicals example; 15 gallon 19"x21" base 60 degrees angle for $68.97, metal stand for $67.01. The 30 gallon $85.89 stand $71.10. These are made of medium density polyethylene meets FDA standards max temp 120*F. Tanks are translucent for level U.V. inhibitors. All tanks have a 12" screw on lids with a 2" threaded outlet. Another model of tank holds 18 gallons good to 140*F 17"x 23"x 52 degree taper 2" threaded outlet for $175. I believe this is a heavy duty model. They even have March pumps besides every valve and tubing you can think of including Tygon product tubing rated to 275*F. Just a heads up what your missing or not knowing what is available besides the high dollar LHBS that you think is your only source of brewing supplies. Many LHBS places buy from these companies then add their extra profit with you thinking they are the only source of this product or it was made exclusively for them.
Just a heads up on what is out there.

This company is in Lima OH. 45801
Enjoy! Carl.

I've always found the 6.5 gallon bucket to be extremely convenient.

Cutting holes and attaching things that will need to be cleaned and sanitized later seems less convenient.

I'm not saying a conical would be bad, or that it wouldn't be neat, but for ease of use, a bucket (with only the big hole in the top) is pretty slick.

How would you feel about drilling these for a second smaller ball valve for removing samples or liquid above the cake?

Back