Double Bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e lo

Reaction score
SWMBO and I were grabbing a quick pint at a joint called Ashley's here in Ann Arbor before seeing Nosferatu (with a live organist, no less) this weekend. I was planning on having an Arrogant Bastard, but saw a tap right in front of me as I sat down that was labeled "Double Bastard." I asked the bartender about it, and he says that it's the same recipe as the Arrogant Bastard, but doubled (i.e. double the grain and hops bills, but keeping the batch volume the same.) Dubious, I tried one. Wow! Fantastic hops aroma, almost chewey malt goodness, and a lovely bitter finish with a slight alcohol burn. That was a treat. Probably wouldn't have more than two in a sitting, but I really enjoyed that.

Has anybody made a clone or a homebrew of similar character?

OK, i know i am seriously resurrecting a dead thread... but I just met the double bastard for the first time tonight... WOW... that is AWESOME..

oh yeah, and in case you wondered, a bomber of that stuff will mess you up....
no... i mean... REALLY mess you up....:drunk::cross::drunk:

I have two 22s of 07 double bastard in my closet. I think the double bastard kills over the regular arrogant bastard. The additional alcohol plays well with all the hops they use. I know they use magnums for bittering on most of their beers, but the chinook is unique to the bastards.

It the special release staring now. It's about 10% ABV. I have a bottle of 06 and 2 bottles of 07. Looks like it's time to get some of the '08. 1 22oz bottle in a sitting and I'm done. :drunk:

Ahoy hoy,
So, on my usual friday excursion to the craft beer store, I ask my bud the clerk whats new this week and he says, "we got some double bastard in".
I bought 4 bottles, never having tasted it before.
3 are left. I drank one that night....:drunk:......wow. Tastes great too. Wife thought it was way too much. I wouldnt drink it every night, but, when you just dont have time to mess around, those bad boys will get the job done. Great with Cheeseburger and fries as well :D
I bid you all a great day!

Got my first bottle of the year on the way home from work today. Gonna be saving it for a good night. Maybe... Thanksgiving?

The wife and I cracked our first bottle of 2009 DB on Tuesday night. She had a 4oz taster and I finished the rest of it :) Damn that's some good stuff, now what to do with the other 3 bottles of it I have...

Sorry for the post resurrect, but I had to say I'm trying Double Bastard for the first time. Like it's littler brother, this isn't an everyday or session beer, but man, does it deliver. It's 11.2 percent, and man it is it a hearty brew. Love it. Oddly enough, my local grocery store started stocking this along with SN's Bigfoot barleywine. DB kicks the crap out of the barleywine. This is awesome.

Back