Lagunitas Sucks clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fungi

Reaction score
Lagunitas Sucks & Holiday Leftovers are thus far my favorite beer I've ever tasted... I've searched High & Low for a clone for this recipe, but I've have yet to see one. I dunno if anyone out there has tried this or is getting close. Or maybe I'm a total fruitcake for loving this beer so much :ban:

Anywho just thought I'd throw this out there & see if anyone has any leads :)

Thanks Guys!!

Josh

I'd be very interested as well. This is easily a top 5 beer of all time for me.

For what it's worth, I contacted the brewery and they have assured me that when the new brew house ramps up we will see this beer again. Not sure if you saw it or not, but they also just announced they will be opening a second brewery in Chicagp next year.

If they'd provide guidance on how to make it that would be stellar.

Brobe

found this one online.. If anyone can help to translate this to a partial/ extract recipe it would be appreciated

5 gal. batch
90 min. boil
primary 17 days @ 64
secondary 5 days @ 67
tertiary 5 days @ 69
brown bottles 21 days @ 72
1.085 OG 1.025 FG
53.5 IBU
8.0% ABV

10# Great Western Premuin 2-row Malt
3# Rahr Red Wheat Malt
1# Rye Malt
1# Thomas Fawcett Oats, Malted
10oz Briess Torrified Wheat

1 ea Rice hulls 75 min mash
1 ea Whirlfloc tablet 15 min boil
1 ea yeast nutrient 15 min boil

.5 oz Columbus 90min
.5 oz Simcoe 20 min
.5 oz Columbus 10 min
1 oz Centennial 5 min
2 oz Amarillo 30 min post boil
2 oz Centennial 30 min post boil
3 oz Citra Dry hop 10 days
1.5 oz Simcoe Dry hop 10 days

English Ale (WLP002)

Mash @ 155 for 75 min 5.859 gal
mash out 2 gal @ 212 for 15 min 2 gal

I have a converted recipe, BUUUUT I've RDWHAHBed a little too much and can't get it here. Maybe tomorrow.

Did the clone turn out? Even close would be better than no Lagunitas Sucks. Didn't see any this year and I'm jonzing.

this became my favorite beer...then it quickly disappeared... then I discovered Pliny the Elder... but I'd love to try them back2back to compare.... but Lagunitas Sucks will always have a special place in my heart as it turned me 'on' to the Hop-side

Must be nice to have pliney the elder at hand! I'm in Chicago and would love to have that available around here

I emailed the brewery last year, but never tried to make it. I was very confused with the high FG they acheived, but that has to be from the 'cereal grains' (rye, wheat, and oats) and a high mash. Here is what they said.

<fromBrewery>
I don&#8217;t have the ratio of hops to grain but I&#8217;m attaching the sales sheet for the beer, it lists the 4 types of grain. I asked our head brewer about the hops and he gave me a few for you to try: Chinook, Simcoe and Apollo.
</fromBrewery>

I just got a bottle of this in a build my own 6 pack and now I'm kicking myself for only getting one! This is a fantastic beer!

How did this clone turn out? Seems it has been a while since the posting. I am interested...and brewing a very similar recipe...but not for a Lagunita's clone.

That is such an interesting grain bill, I just may have to try it out (when my supply of IPA is running low &#8211; currently between 15-20 gallon left!).

Even though that FG looks a little high, it&#8217;s pretty standard for Lagunitas to mash at a high temperature so its expected. Gotta give credit to them because anytime my FG is above 1.017 in an IPA it just tastes way to malty. They are able to still get that crisp hoppy taste somehow, must be their water or something!

Subscribed for updates and reminding me of a future brew.

guitarist970 said:
I just got a bottle of this in a build my own 6 pack and now I'm kicking myself for only getting one! This is a fantastic beer!

Me too! Mariano's has it for $9.99 to build your own. Should go back and get 6 of them at that price!

Well hell.... I am going to have to get a growler of this tomorrow.
Seems like a crowd pleaser.

I had this beer last week on tap at The Porter, in Little 5 Points, Atlanta.. what a great pub, amazing selection...

This was an awesome beer, was not over powering at all on the bitterness but tons of hop aroma and flavor. IPAs are my fav and I've tasted many, but I prefer if they are not too bitter and favor the aroma and flavor of hops more. This one must be from more late additions, which is where my question comes in. I'm going to try the hopville recipe in this thread (http://hopville.com/recipe/1480722) to see how it goes. In the recipe it has 4 oz of late additions at 30 minutes post boil. I've added at flameout and of course dry hopped, but where do you add 30 minutes post boil? That's right about the time I am done chilling and starting to transfer to primary, so should I just put them in the primary and transfer onto them? I would think then primary for 7-10 days and probably transfer to secondary (i know big debate on this i'm still secondarying most of my beers). Then after a couple weeks in the secondary transfer to keg and do the dry hopping there while it carbs for a couple weeks. thoughts?

Well I got the ingredients for this one today, going to brew Saturday. Couldn't remember the yeast at the LHBS so I went 1272, making a 1.5L starter now. Was able to get all these hops even Amarillo and citra at Beer Necessities, they rock. Not sure about the 75 min mash at 156, sounds high and long. Was thinking 152 for 60. I remember this beer not being too bitter, having great complexity with the grains but not overly sweet or malty.

Also I have NO idea if this clone recipe from hopville has been done and how close it got but it looked too good not to try. I'm naming it 4-way IPA and if it comes out good may become my house Imperial IPA.

Hit the pre boil gravity dead on but missed the OG by .07, came out at .071 but should be good. The OG sample tasted ridiculously hoppy... Yay. After flameout I chilled to 180 then stopped the chiller and steeped the 4 oz of post boil hops for 30 mins. Been reading about hop stands and decided to try this 180 degree method. After 30 mins of steeping it was still at about 165. The wy 1272 took about 24 hours to start but is chugging away at 68 degrees. High hopes for this batch.

Also I ended up mashing about 153-152 for 75 mins. Was actually shooting for closer to 154-156 but I forgot to to check the "adjust for temp of equipment" no in beersmith so my strike temp was a little low. Pretty awesome how accurate beersmith is on the strike temp when you setup your equipment profile and enter the temperature of the mash tun and grain. I don't bother preheating my mash tun anymore, just use the calculations in beersmith and they are dead on!!!

I emailed Lagunitas today to ask them about the recipe. This is what I got.

Glad you love the Sucks, it's delicious. As far as getting the ingredients, this is a great start to beginning your brew.

Lagunitas Sucks Ale
HOPS MALTS
-Cascade -2 Row
-Simcoe -Malted Rye
-Summit -Red Wheat
-Columbus
-Tomahawk
-Zeus
-Willamette
-Nugget
-Chinook
-Apollo
-Supercritical CO2 Hop Extract

Hope that Helps!

eandersen said:

Glad you love the Sucks, it's delicious. As far as getting the ingredients, this is a great start to beginning your brew.

Lagunitas Sucks Ale
HOPS MALTS
-Cascade -2 Row
-Simcoe -Malted Rye
-Summit -Red Wheat
-Columbus
-Tomahawk
-Zeus
-Willamette
-Nugget
-Chinook
-Apollo

Hope that Helps!

Wow wonder if they use all the hops in one batch? I don't get the grain bill. It's described as a 4 cereal medley with barley, oats, rye and wheat, missing the oats.

keep us posted. I found a place nearby that has several sixers of if so I stocked up.... this is the best beer ever! Amazing aroma & mouth feel

Anyone make progress on converting the all grain recipe to an extract/mini-mash recipe? It should be doable, especially since Northern Brewer now has rye extract.

My wife was just in mpls and got me a sixer of it. I just tried it, and it might be my new favorite IPA...although its hard to beat Furious. I'm continuously amazed at what this brewery puts out...just great stuff

Lagunitas Sucks Ale
HOPS MALTS
-Cascade -2 Row
-Simcoe -Malted Rye
-Summit -Red Wheat
-Columbus
-Tomahawk
-Zeus
-Willamette
-Nugget
-Chinook
-Apollo

Hope that Helps!

Aren't Columbus, tomahawk, and zeus all the same hop? Pretty sure they are

Yeah they are...I guess they just threw all three in cause you can use any for bittering

Haha I just didn't want everyone to be confused and think there were like 80 different hops in there. Still quite a few varieties though. That is surprising

10 days of dry hopping done today, put secondary in Keezer to crash (its very cloudy) and will keg three days. Leaving dry hops in during crash. FG at 1.010 so came out about 7.9.%. Does not taste that high, great hop flavor and aroma, not too bitter (which I love abt Sucks). Color is lighter than real one I think, but I don't have a sample to compare. I think LHBS didn't have red wheat and just gave me wheat so maybe why a little light. No off flavors detected I think this one will be good with limited aging just a couple weeks of force carbing (if I can wait that long).

image-1708883194.jpg

I dunno, other than the haze I don&#8217;t think you are too far off for color. From memory (my last Sucks was consumed a few days ago) it is a very light colored beer.

Definitely interested in seeing how this turns out. I love Sucks and a lot of my friends do too. If I brew this, I'll never get them to leave!

I've had twice now, once on tap. I think I remember it being more orange. The sample was great. I'm wondering if the 4 grains made it cloudy, maybe the wheat. Most of my beers are more clear at this point but I'm sure it will clear up a lot in the keg. However, I'm not a clarity Nazi.

LovesIPA said:
Definitely interested in seeing how this turns out. I love Sucks and a lot of my friends do too. If I brew this, I'll never get them to leave!

So I'm guessing you like IPAs ;-) Me too. For any IPA lovers who have not done Denny's Wrye Smile Rye IPA, with Denny's Fav 50 yeast... Do it now!

Woohoo, I'm drinking one now!!! Just picked up a sixer the other day. I may have to pick up another (or 2) before they're all gone.

Favorite beer, converted me into an IPA drinker!

Pelican521 said:
Woohoo, I'm drinking one now!!! Just picked up a sixer the other day. I may have to pick up another (or 2) before they're all gone.

Favorite beer, converted me into an IPA drinker!

Wow good one to start with! I am having a hard time finding it in Atlanta, need to get one in the next couple weeks for a comparison.

Latest posts

Back