coors clone?XP (for dad)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgrcltpunk

Reaction score
yeah so does anyone have a coors clone or know one i wanna make it for my dad he loves coors (ewwwww) and i think this would be the way to possibly get him into brewing

i know im gonna get crap for this but its for my dad

Here is my recipe for a ten gallon batch of American style lager, everyone loves this beer, even the people who tend to scoff off the style. Keep it simple and keep it clean, make sure you pitch the right amount of yeast and serve it as cold as you can. This is for a Standard American Lager, if you want to get closer to a lite I would just reduce the 2-row by five pounds or so. This will increase the adjuct percentage and lower the gravity. I would also delete the 30 min hop addition for a lite lager. Glacier hops would also work very well in this recipe. I would say 6-8 weeks should be enough lagering to smooth it out. Pitch at 45 and ferment at 48-50, filter and carbonate very highly.

If you want it closer to a specific company here is the approach I would take:

Bud: take out the 2-row and use all 6-row, use rice syrup solids for all of the adjunct.

Coors: take out the 6-row and use all 2-row, use refined corn starch in place of the corn at about 10oz per lb of corn but leave the rice as is.

Miller: Use brewers corn syrup for all of the adjunct, I know AHS carries this.

Standard American Lager

Ingredients
AmountItemType% or IBU
7.00 lbPale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)Grain35.00 %
7.00 lbPale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM)Grain35.00 %
3.00 lbCorn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)Grain15.00 %
3.00 lbRice, Flaked (1.0 SRM)Grain15.00 %
1.00 ozWilliamette [4.50 %] (60 min)Hops7.6 IBU
1.00 ozWilliamette [4.50 %] (30 min)Hops5.8 IBU
4 Pkgs Saflager W34/70-

Beer Profile
Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.007 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.34 %
Bitterness: 13.4 IBU
Calories: 209 cal/pint
Est Color: 3.3

These beers are more a showcase of how clean you can brew and how well you can handle the fermentation. An extract batch would likely be missing that "grainy" flavor but I don't get that nearly as much out of Coors as I do Bud, so maybe you won’t mind. It won't be exactly the same, but I think with good yeast handling and a very clean process you could get pretty darn close. The hardest part would be getting it to go dry enough since you don't have control over the fermentability. You would probably have the best results using an enzymatic malt extract or adding some amylase to your wort for a while before boiling.

I would do this:
The lightest DME you can find 60%
Brewers Corn Syrup 20%
Rice Syrup solids 20%
6-8 BUs with something very clean like Glacier

OG in the 1.030s and pitch plenty of yeast. I might even do a shorter than normal boil to keep the SRMs down.

I've found that you can ferment lager recipes with a clean ale yeast (WLP001) and still get a clean, crisp feel & taste. I usually try to ferment as close to 60F as possible and let them "lager" in the keg for at least a month.

P.S. It's good to see we got over the flaming of BMC recipe requests... :D

Could you use 6-row in a Extract/Steep recipe to improve the fermentability of DME/LME in these types of recipes?

Add 1-2lbs of a 6-row to captilize on the high enzyme content, steep at 150F, add your DME and adjuncts, hold temp at 150F for 30 minutes. Just a thought.

I guess that's really lazy partial mash. :D

Elephant....um....urine........errrr.....I mean.........

You're a good son!;)

3 lbs of DME
1 oz hallertaur (carefully divided into thirds for triple hopping.......lol) 30 minutes,29 minutes, and at 28 minutes.
1 lb sugar

WL california ale yeast

FERMENT AT 60F (or as close as possible)

Brew and carb it up, "lager" the bottles in the fridge for a month.

It should be fairly flavorless for an Ale.

It pleased SWMBO.

I admire you!:mug:

Elephant....um....urine........errrr.....I mean.........

You're a good son!;)

3 lbs of DME
1 oz hallertaur (carefully divided into thirds for triple hopping.......lol) 30 minutes,29 minutes, and at 28 minutes.
1 lb sugar

WL california ale yeast

FERMENT AT 60F (or as close as possible)

Brew and carb it up, "lager" the bottles in the fridge for a month.

It should be fairly flavorless for an Ale.

It pleased SWMBO.

I admire you!:mug:

ok so looks like a plan for when i get my dopple style ale in the second

Good on you for not being thin skinned!;)

Kidding about the triple hopping, all 1 oz goes in for 30 minutes, (crazy! I know).

Fermentation temps are pretty key.

Bottle, let it carb up for 2 weeks, fridge for 1 month.

Enjoy!

Best that can be expected without lagering....what did I miss?
Nothing against your recipe, I just wanted to let him know.

But apparently you missed him never saying anything about lagering. He started a thread about how to clone coors lite, not how to get kinda close.

Back