Force Carbing / yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strez001

Reaction score
I just made a batch of ginger beer (mother earth news recipe) and thought it turned out pretty good. They recipe uses natural yeast for carbonation from raisins (I believe) but now it has some of a yeast taste. I would like to have almost no yeast flavor, is there a brewing yeast that does that? Is force carbing the only answer? Can I force carb glass bottles? How?

without going to force carb options, the lowest yeast flavor you'll get is out of a champagne yeast. Also, stop it once it's carbonated by putting it in the fridge, and only make what you'll drink in the next week. The longer it sits, the more yeasty it may get.
Use less yeast than the recipe calls for initially, by about half, it might take slightly longer to carb, but not much, and it will decrease the flavor.

Neither of the responses really answers my questions, but thanks for trying. From doing a lot more reading, I think I just need to invest in kegging equipment. I want to be able to fill my pop machine (50's coke bottle machine), and have it last for a while.
I have found that the little bit of yeast taste has grown on me, and I have become addicted to my own ginger beer. I have also found that a little bit of lime juice cuts the taste of the yeast slightly. I will post my recipe and my experimental variations in the recipe thread soon.

Just to follow up, something like WLP001, fermented at around 65F imparts very little taste, but you will still have active yeast. JedSmithBrewery suggestion of using an adapter for the PET bottles and the small c02 cartridges is the second best option.

Latest posts

Back