HBT Golfers: Hi There!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

Reaction score
Anybody else have the golf affliction? I didn't see much in a search, so I figured we needed a place to tell our golf lies^h^h^h^hstories.

I'll go first. I played in a charity outing on Friday, and got accused of sandbagging. I'd told the client we took with us I was a bad player, then proceeded to chip in from about 25 feet on the first hole.

After that, I proved my point by hitting the following tee shot 270 yards into the center of the fairway. Too bad it was the next fairway over.

Playing badly makes the game more interesting, so long as you aren't playing with somebody who takes it too seriously.

I golf every second wednesday night in a 9 hole best ball tournament with a few guys from work. I have been golfing since I was 12, but I am still only mediocre. But last Wednesday I golfed a 38 all by myself, not one of their shots counted...I was pretty proud.

My Best 18 hole round was a 74, my average is probably around 90. I think consistency is my problem.

I hope to get out there this weekend and use my new/old Ping TiSi driver. Coming off a long lay-off, so I don't expect much. My best 9-Holes was a 42 and 18-Holes was a 96. I played at Cochiti Lake and drove the green on a 340yd PAR 4 and 4 putted.

I played at Cochiti Lake and drove the green on a 340yd PAR 4 and 4 putted.

That's awesome. I have a penchant for ruining great drives. I'm better off with a mediocre drive because at least then I have a chance for birdie or par. If I'm 300 yds down the middle I just know I'm going to chunk or blade my next shot. The game is a lot more mental than you would think.

I actually just got back from playing 9 holes. Unfortunately, because of my new brewing hobby, I've played less golf this year than I have since I started playing in the 5th grade. You have to set your priorities straight!:mug:

I played in HS and grew up on a golf course. All the free golf, balls, tees, bags, shoes I wanted. The pro was like a father to me. One year Freddy Couples came for a pro-am. It rained all day so I sat and spoke with him, all day. Prob the coolest guy you'll ever meet.

I went to this one place the other day, its sucked and so did I, ha. I can't wait to go out again this week/weekend.

I play as much as I can. Im not bad, maybe about a bogey player. But given the option of either playing golf or brewing, Im going to choose brewing

I suck, but I have fun and don't take it too seriously. Nothing wrong with taking it seriously if that's your bag, but thankfully nobody enforces their own standards on the rest of the group.

I have played off and on since I was about 10. I am a long ball hitter, which kind of sucks. I can drive 300+ but when I have an approach shot within 90 yards of the green I am screwed. Plus do I seldom ever hit the ball consistantly, most of the time it is a nice draw but more often than not I am either hooking or slicing. Usually means lots of lost balls. We still have alot of fun, typically at our own expense.

I went and played Duran this fathers day with my dad and brother and it was hands down the worst game of my life.

I've been golfing since I was a teenager and still am not very good. I don't get to play as much as I used to and I'm very inconsistent, I don't even bother carrying a driver anymore.... One thing though, I can hit the ball a ton. During bad rounds I've been known to put away all my clubs except my 9 iron and then put the ball out over 200 yards with it off the tee.

Lately I've been working on my grip and stance with a friend of mine who is very good. His coaching and corrections have definitely taken a few strokes off of my game.

I'm another of the drive it a mile , chunk it around the green type of player. I think I could be decent if I could improve my game from about 75 yards out, on in to the green.

I took 3 lessons and my scores went from 125-130 down to 100ish. I spent alot of time with my wedges, but my putting still needs help. Once the wind picks up out here the driver is useless unless you keep it low. When I am not hitting the driver well at all i'll use a 4-iron off the tee and be in decent shape. Anyone try and play a PAR 5 with just a 7-iron and putter?

I have played off and on since I was about 10. I am a long ball hitter, which kind of sucks. I can drive 300+ but when I have an approach shot within 90 yards of the green I am screwed. Plus do I seldom ever hit the ball consistantly, most of the time it is a nice draw but more often than not I am either hooking or slicing. Usually means lots of lost balls. We still have alot of fun, typically at our own expense.

I used to be like that until I got a hold of some good clubs. Im still having issues 75 in. Using a lob wedge

I've been playing golf since I was 12 (23 years) and I still suck at it. I always enjoy it though.

A bad day on the golf course is always better than a good day at work. Golf + beer = a good time, everytime.

Well Pings are excellent! Its all about touch now. I dotn wear a glove and I dont interlock my fingers either.

Ive got Callaway x14s and Great Big Bertha Driver 7 degree. Ive never used a fairway wood.

Also I stopped using anyhting but soft cover balls.

ping.jpg

They would be nice to have in the bag. A fine choice.

Thurs 96 Deg and wind only 11mph.

You ever hit with one of them? Pure beauty

I can shape a nice draw with one of those like a pro and I only lose about 20 yards on the distance.

Nice! Unfortunately I haven't. I hit a few Callaway Big Bertha FW woods and was hooked on them. If I find myself able to try the Pings I will.

Well Pings are excellent! Its all about touch now. I dotn wear a glove and I dont interlock my fingers either.

Ive got Callaway x14s and Great Big Bertha Driver 7 degree. Ive never used a fairway wood.

Also I stopped using anyhting but soft cover balls.

Yeah I have the Callaway X-12 pro series, the only difference is the offset of the head. They are great. I know Ping makes great stuff but Iv'e never seemed to like anything but their putters.

I'm very, very into golf and play and average of 9 holes per week. My handicap is around 25, so I have my collapses and my break throughs. Good or bad, its still fun; like pizza or sex...

I used to play quite often, regular leagues and all. Then I hurt my back and only play once or twice a year. Playing tomorrow in a tourny for our local Vol FD and it will be my first time swinging all year. When I played regularly I shot low to mid 90s. Now I drink alot:tank:.

Quick 9-holes this am after a long lay-off and I was impressed with my play. Took me 2 holes to get my draw back and my short game was good. Long irons and fairway woods killed me. I didn't keep score, but I did PAR the last hole. More practice tomorrow.

Wow, I haven't played in about 15 years. I really should go get a bucket of balls and go whacking em some time soon.

I have been playing for a couple years now. SHot the best game of my life last saturday with a 94! I was laughing at how well i was palying it was a complete fluke so strange it was comical. Played on sunday and couldnt follow up i shot a 107.

I'm playing with some work buddies tomorrow. Looking foward to trying out my new 22 degree hybrid club.

Given that I hit my 3-iron for crap, it's worth trying out.

fellow homebrewing golfers,
This is probably as good of a place as any to ask this:

We all know golf and beer go together like milk and cookies. Cans are very convenient, but I'd like to bring some of my homebrew to drink with me on the course. Has anyone done this? Did you just bring a plastic cup to pour it into? Did the bottles get shaken up too much and the yeast sediment get mixed back up into the beer? Is this worth it?

And yes, It is against the law to bring your own beer onto some courses, but at least one course near me does allow it.:mug:

Keep it in the short grass.:)
e7ce47___sadbanana.gif

I played pretty inconsistently, and had lots of water problems. Sand trouble one one hole (chunked into three different bunkers, then flied the green and OB) forced me to take a 10. Two snowmen, as well. Oy vey.

It was fun, though.

...I'd like to bring some of my homebrew to drink with me on the course. Has anyone done this? Did you just bring a plastic cup to pour it into? Did the bottles get shaken up too much and the yeast sediment get mixed back up into the beer? Is this worth it?...

Do you keg? If so, plastic soda bottles and the BMBF are your friend.
If not, try tucking a couple of bottles in your bag, and bring a plastic bag for some ice. Hefes and Wits are great for this, because it's no biggie if they get mixed up.

Personally, I have no quibbles about drinking BMC on the golf course. In fact, Coors heavy is one of my favorite golfing beers.
PS: I've been known to carry a small flask of bourbon in my golf bag as well.

Back