ESB full of Diacetyl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippy

Reaction score
After a week in primary, I took a gravity reading/sample of my ESB and it tasted like butterscotch.

Fermentation temp has been a steady 66F.

Since I am using Safale S-04 yeast, the beer is already looking quite clear which makes me worry that the yeast will drop out too soon and Diacetyl will not get cleaned up by the time I am ready to release the beer from its fermenter.

Do you think that rousing the yeast by stirring, or ramping up the temperature (or a combination of both) will help get rid of this problem, or do you feel it will clean up anyway? .... or should I just get used to the flavor? lol

I have NO idea what went wrong, as I aerated well and the fermentation started within a couple of hours...fermentation looked nice all the way through. :confused:

You can rouse by sliding and rocking the fermenter around instead of risking infection and oxidation by stirring. Warming it up a few degrees may also help.

Since I am using Safale S-04 yeast, the beer is already looking quite clear which makes me worry that the yeast will drop out too soon and Diacetyl will not get cleaned up by the time I am ready to release the beer from its

Release the beer when IT is ready, not when you are.

If you are worried about diacetyl, raise the temp for a few days when you are close to reaching terminal gravity and see how it tastes. If it hasn't cleaned up, try adding a liter or so of actively fermenting beer and that may do the trick.

It's not quite done yet. Don't rush it. The gravity may be down close to FG, but you haven't yet given the yeast a chance to clean up after themselves (which they can and will).

Was your 66*F the beer temp or the air?

If it was the beer temp (hope so), let it come up a few degrees for 6-7 more days to clean up.

Yeah, it was beer temp, BigFloyd. I have it out to warm a bit now and am giving it the time it desires thanks :)

Yeah, it was beer temp, BigFloyd. I have it out to warm a bit now and am giving it the time it desires thanks :)

No worries. I took a hydro sample today of an ESB that's been going 4 days on a starter made with harvested (generation 2) Wyeast 1968 London ESB. It fermented very vigorously on day 2 and is now at expected FG.

I tasted the hydro sample and quickly determined that, while done eating the fermentable sugars, they hadn't done much clean up of their mess yet. I bumped it up a couple of degrees and decided to give it at least another week on the cake before taste-testing again to see if it's ready for a cold crash and kegging.

Back