People and snow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in South Texas and I keep hearing about this stuff called 'snow'. LOL :)

I've lived up north during winter years ago and then had to spend this past winter in Chicago. I can intelligently state that I do not like the snow except in pictures. The driving is dangerous and just walking around getting nasty dirty slush all over your pants is not something I like to experience.

But hey, what does a good southern boy like myself know about snow anyways? :cross:

olllllo said:
Portland I think.

The first guy in the video was freaking priceless. I'm still trying to figure out how he bounced off like 6 things and was still not able to stop - then someone yells HELP! lmao

ohiobrewtus said:
The first guy in the video was freaking priceless. I'm still trying to figure out how he bounced off like 6 things and was still not able to stop - then someone yells HELP! lmao

Yeah, I actually LOL'd when they yelled "help!". It takes a lot to make me LOL :p

Last year we had a night that it snowed about a foot overnight. I had to work in the morning(thank god my job is four blocks from my house). BTW I work at a liquor store comma the first person to come in bought one bag of ice and thats it. We waited another 15mins until the next person came in comma one bottle of non-alcoholic wine. I mean come on the parking lot wasn't even plowed yet. It was ridiculous.

BTW I find that video funny as h*ll.

sause said:
Last year we had a night that it snowed about a foot overnight. I had to work in the morning(thank god my job is four blocks from my house). BTW I work at a liquor store comma the first person to come in bought one bag of ice and thats it. We waited another 15mins until the next person came in comma one bottle of non-alcoholic wine. I mean come on the parking lot wasn't even plowed yet. It was ridiculous.

BTW I find that video funny as h*ll.

I remember that night. It prompted this. What a mess that was.

eriktlupus said:
you've gotta be kidding me that's just a dusting.! does maryland even have a salt system?

i was in fort knox in 93 when kentucky had a blizzard up to 2' in areas shut the whole state down for a week. the state was callin on the radio for people with plows to work the rds and highways. freakin southerners

I grew up in Michigan, spent some time in Elizabethtown, trailed over to Bardstown and am now in Maryland, so I can honestly say that I've experienced the exact same sentiments. :)

In Elizabethtown I was delivering pizza during one of the "worst" snowstorms in 10 years. I found it absolutely amazing that after the first night they shut down the entire city... LITERALLY, I mean shut it down. Including the Department of Transportation who has the job of clearing off the roads.

Incidentally, being a Michigan trained driver (did my driver's test in January with about 2 and a half feet on the ground - something some people can't imagine and is common enough that a rookie was expected to know how to handle) I made a KILLING that night on tips. :)

As to the "southerners" comment, I learned one thing in Kentucky dealing with snow. In the north, everyone keeps moving because they can handle the snow... In the south, everyone stops because they can't.

But people in the north don't help push your car out. (That was an adjustment too!)

I don't miss it. Iowa was pretty lame and yeah, same thing...5 or 75 MPH idiots.

Out here in Cali, people COMPLETELY forget how to drive when it rains. I swear, whenever it rains, EVERY SINGLE TIME...i almost get in like 5 accidents on my way to werk.

It's really irritating, it's like people can't see out of their windows because of a little water AND they don't care.

Don't know which i'd chose, to tell you the truth. i definitely like it better out here in general, but at least back there i could spin donuts in the high school parking lot :D

lol that video reminds me of the BLIZZARD OF AUGHT 6!!!! I remember I had to drive my coworkers truck home from work (we carpooled) because she was too chicken to drive it herself.

I soon found out why.

Imagine this; a Tacoma with no 4WD, bald tires and no weight in the back. I almost made her ass ride in the bed of the truck. Fun times!

We has school canceled here last year after getting like 2 ft in day. Other than that people make it through.

that video is hilarious.

In defense of my native southern states, we more often had ice on the roads than snow. I can drive in snow, but ice is a different ballgame. I watched a stopped car slide off of the road and into a ditch when I lived in NC. Ice storms suck. That said, yeah, people do freak out when it snows. It may, and I'm just speculating, have something to do with the fact that it only snows 1-2 times a year. When do you northerners imagine that we'd practice?

Short Drive said:
This is what we got over night. We have school today.
Looks like a lite snow fall, why wouldn't you have school? :D
Ofcourse I grew up in the "snow belt" outside of Cleveland. This area knows how to plow roads and uses an obscene amount of road salt.
I find taking the side streets with my "big bike" (4" wide 10psi tires on a bicycle) is loads of fun in the snow. Cleveland doesn't plow the side streets until the day after a snow or they become impassible. So the side streets have few cars, plenty of snow an are lots of fun. If only I could convince my wife I'm not going to die out there. :)
Craig

Hehe sucks for you guys! It's a nice 71* right now.

This happend my freshman year in 2004. I wasn't here to see it bc I went back home for christmas. People are STILL talking about it though and there are even a few books written about it! Every christmas since then they've brought it up on the news. Check it out...it wasn't that much

[YOUTUBE]KEpFeJn5AFM[/YOUTUBE]

olllllo said:
Portland I think.

Yep sure was.

I like snow, never had trouble getting around in it. :ban:
runnernow212oq0.jpg

Back