Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok considering i just paid paid 4 dollars for a bottle of this beer at a bar i feel it one of the worst beers i have ever had. Dogfishhead 60 min ipa is freekin terrible How is this considered a "craft" beer. My girlfriend that has no prejudice to any beer or brewery said it reminded her of the last time she drank a 40 oz of Mickey's. Im sorry to whoever likes this beer but grosss. Given it its last of MANY chances.

Ok considering i just paid paid 4 dollars for a bottle of this beer at a bar i feel it one of the worst beers i have ever had. Dogfishhead 60 min ipa is freekin terrible How is this considered a "craft" beer. My girlfriend that has no prejudice to any beer or brewery said it reminded her of the last time she drank a 40 oz of Mickey's. Im sorry to whoever likes this beer but grosss. Given it its last of MANY chances.

Whaaaa ? Not that 60 is even in my top 10 favorite IPA's but there MUST have been something wrong with the beer. Left in the sun ? Left in a hot truck ? Old as hell ?

Indeed, 60 minute is decent, better than a great many ipas I've had. Not saying you should try it yet again but would like to know what turns you off to it

Indeed, 60 minute is decent, better than a great many ipas I've had. Not saying you should try it yet again but would like to know what turns you off to it

Thats what everyone says. Maybe its my taste buds but it really has an awful taste to me. Some not so tasty bitterness, weird malt sweetness..... that about all i get from it. I dunno but sweet to the people that "Think its decent". :)

Whaaaa ? Not that 60 is even in my top 10 favorite IPA's but there MUST have been something wrong with the beer. Left in the sun ? Left in a hot truck ? Old as hell ?

At a restaurant/pub that has tons of business. I doubt it was old or skunked. I have been turned off every time i have tried it. I always wonder if thats the case..... :confused:

That is ridiculous. 60 minute doesn't taste at all offensive, and is pretty tame as far as IPAs go. The only way I can see somebody hating it is if they just plain hate hops, and therefore any style that is hop-focused. It's a bit too floral for it to be one of my favorites, and I do greatly prefer 90 minute, but it's hard to imagine that anybody who likes American craft beer can hate the 60 minute so much.

So I have to agree that something happened to the beer. Perhaps it was oxidized or lightstruck, but in any case it was almost definitely mishandled - likely the distributor or retailer, but possibly also the consumer and, least likely of all in this case, the brewery itself.

And this highlights how important it is to not just write off a beer entirely just because you had one bad bottle or glass. And also justifies the length some breweries go to in order to ensure their beer is handled and served to their standards, because many customers can easily be lost due to a single distributor or retailer not caring about preserving the integrity of the product and the quality that ends up reaching the consumer. Which of course causes many to conclude that the beer is just bad overall and making sure to avoid it in the future because they (think they) don't like it.

bluntsandbeers said:
At a restaurant/pub that has tons of business. I doubt it was old or skunked. I have been turned off every time i have tried it. I always wonder if thats the case..... :confused:

I posted a tad too late, heh.

Did you get it in a bottle or on tap?

That is ridiculous. 60 minute doesn't taste at all offensive, and is pretty tame as far as IPAs go. The only way I can see somebody hating it is if they just plain hate hops, and therefore any style that is hop-focused. It's a bit too floral for it to be one of my favorites, and I do greatly prefer 90 minute, but it's hard to imagine that anybody who likes American craft beer can hate the 60 minute so much.

So I have to agree that something happened to the beer. Perhaps it was oxidized or lightstruck, but in any case it was almost definitely mishandled - likely the distributor or retailer, but possibly also the consumer and, least likely of all in this case, the brewery itself.

And this highlights how important it is to not just write off a beer entirely just because you had one bad bottle or glass. And also justifies the length some breweries go to in order to ensure their beer is handled and served to their standards, because many customers can easily be lost due to a single distributor or retailer not caring about preserving the integrity of the product and the quality that ends up reaching the consumer. Which of course causes many to conclude that the beer is just bad overall and making sure to avoid it in the future because they (think they) don't like it.

Well i LOVE hops so that not the case. But i didn't taste or smell any... And i totally felt it was offensive tasting. But you may be right. Def tasted old would be one way to describe. But also it has always to me... :confused:

bluntsandbeers said:
Well i LOVE hops so that not the case. But i didn't taste or smell any... And i totally felt it was offensive tasting. But you may be right. Def tasted old would be one way to describe. But also it has always to me... :confused:

Have you only tried it at the same bar each time?

Not trying to pile in on you but dh 60 m is decent. But hey, this thread is what is the worst commercial beer you've ever had, so air your frustration with it :mug:

10 barrel IPA. I've had it 3 different times in both bottle and keg and every time it has been chock full of diacetyl. It's nasty.

Hey i said sorry to the people that "think its decent"....

... but if you think it tastes like Mickey's, either you have no taste buds, or more likely the bar is serving old/improperly stored beers (or serving you a DFH 90, watered down by 50%). It's like saying, "I don't like Guinness, it tastes too much like Bud Light Lime for me" - it's a statement that simply is factually incorrect.

EDIT: Reading one of your other posts, I do agree, the beer is sweet for an IPA, but when it's a good bottle/clean tap lines it's pretty well-balanced. It still sounds like you aren't getting a good sample.

Haven't read through this entire thread, but hands-down, far-and-away the worst beer I've had is Wild Blue. Now, I don't mind your typical Bud Light/Amber Bock type beers, and am always willing to try something new. Saw Wild Blue on sale when it first came out, thought "I should try that".

No, no you shouldn't. Imagine if A-B, Kool-Aid, and Triaminic got together and decided to make a beer. I took a sip, gagged... managed to choke down about 1/3 of the glass... poured the rest of it down the drain. I think I still have 5 of the 6-pack sitting in my kitchen, because there's nobody I hate so much as to give this crap to them, and I want my drain to keep working for me so I won't pour it down the sink.

Back in college I was lucky enough to have my parents take me on a cruise to the Carribbean. We took a side trip in Barbados to snorkel. After snorkeling the boat we were on opened the bar. I challenged my mom to a beer chug contest. This is when things start to get weird. First, I lost the beer chug (still hear about it to this day-20 years later). Second, the beer was from Barbados called Banks. It was the worst tasting swill I've ever had. The bartender told me the desalinized the water that the brewery used. Well, they managed to get the salt out, but left a terrible seaweed/fish taste in there. Makes me cringe just thinking about that beer again.

... but if you think it tastes like Mickey's, either you have no taste buds, or more likely the bar is serving old/improperly stored beers (or serving you a DFH 90, watered down by 50%). It's like saying, "I don't like Guinness, it tastes too much like Bud Light Lime for me" - it's a statement that simply is factually incorrect.

EDIT: Reading one of your other posts, I do agree, the beer is sweet for an IPA, but when it's a good bottle/clean tap lines it's pretty well-balanced. It still sounds like you aren't getting a good sample.

Uh no haha. Here is what i said directly from my post. "My girlfriend that has no prejudice to any beer or brewery said it reminded her of the last time she drank a 40 oz of Mickey's."

What i think about it.- Weird sweetness, overly malty, no hop flavor at all, no balance in flavor. I didn't think it was off flavored just bad in general. Maybe its that i have very sensitive taste buds? Always have been very picky!! :cross::cross:

Is there an Untappd badge for reading this whole thread?! Why did I do that? I never tried Leinie or Sam Adams ever, but based on these responses I can see my beer instincts are better than I thought. Next time I see a build-your-own-sixer, I'll try to construct a "Sinister Six" based on this thread. Cherry Wheat, Sunset Wheat, Wild Blue...Wow, so much hatred.

My problem is that beers I don't like bore me more than outrage me. Even when I tried a couple of flavors of Four Loko a couple years ago, it was more confusing than disgusting. Also, my tastes keep changing, especially since I've started homebrewing. Maybe those Stella Artois I used to pound would taste awful now...Maybe not! Heck, I tried Genny Cream a few months ago and loved it. If I had to pick example since I started homebrewing and deliberately trying to mature my taste, it would be the pumpkin beer made in Williamsburg, VA. Soap soap soap.

One incident that stands out though is from when I was twelve and on a fishing vacation with my dad in hyperborean lands. He used to love Canadian beer since it used to be the best, cheapest source of non-BMC beer. He picked up a case of Molson at the duty free and let me have one since we were in the lawless wilderness of Peterborough, Ontario. At that point, my only experience was sips of my dad's macro beers and that one time they let me have an O'Doul's. I remember liking the Molson more than anything else I'd had, but even then something about it seemed...Off. I couldn't put my finger on it and still can't, but I still remember the taste all these years later.

There was also the time with the Boone's Farm. Sure, it was in the wine section, but I distinctly remember the small print on the bottle saying malt beverage! I was shopping for Superbowl snacks, and got a bottle of the blue flavor because it was so cheap and kitsch and awful looking. I drank it during the game, and it tasted like blue, Neuromancer-style. The problem was after. I don't remember how sick I was. I literally don't recall whether I was sick in bed for 5 days or a full calendar week. If we can call Boone's Farm a beer on a technicality, then Boone's Farm Blue Hawaiian. No. Contest.

Newport Storm 12

They used cyan pepper. The beer is not hot-spicy. I LOVE hot and spicy food.
This beer is like getting sprayed in the face with pepper spray and then hit in the chest with a 2x4. Simply the worst beer I have ever tried.

The only good news is that I tried it for free at Beervana instead of paying for it.

Need to change my previous vote.

Pilsner from Churchkey Can Co. out of Seattle. The can is a nice bit of nostalgia, and looks good. Upon punching the two holes in it, it starts foaming, and pours a filthy pinkish brown with a distinct smell of ass, and it went downhill from there. OK, I know the can I got to sample came from a very bad batch, but that should never have left the brewery.

Uh no haha. Here is what i said directly from my post. "My girlfriend that has no prejudice to any beer or brewery said it reminded her of the last time she drank a 40 oz of Mickey's."

What i think about it.- Weird sweetness, overly malty, no hop flavor at all, no balance in flavor. I didn't think it was off flavored just bad in general. Maybe its that i have very sensitive taste buds? Always have been very picky!! :cross::cross:

Yes, but Mickeys + green bottle = skunked.
Non craft beer bars/groceries + bottles of craft beer that never get bought/improperly stored = skunked.

Every time I buy a Stone IPA at any grocery store around me it tastes like a mickeys.

Haven't read through this entire thread, but hands-down, far-and-away the worst beer I've had is Wild Blue. Now, I don't mind your typical Bud Light/Amber Bock type beers, and am always willing to try something new. Saw Wild Blue on sale when it first came out, thought "I should try that".

This. I drank a sixer and the hangover from hell.

Yes, but Mickeys + green bottle = skunked.
Non craft beer bars/groceries + bottles of craft beer that never get bought/improperly stored = skunked.

Every time I buy a Stone IPA at any grocery store around me it tastes like a mickeys.

haha Good points!! :mug:

Taiwan pi-jiu.

Half the price of Bud or Heineken when I was living in Taiwan for double the volume; tasted like formaldehyde, yet left a crippling hangover like formaldehyde.

For me, Stella Artois.
Something about it makes me quite sick, yet it is quite popular here in the UK.
I can enjoy a cheap Becks, Tiger, Budweiser... maybe even Carling if you catch me in a desperate mood, but Stella Artois is just awful.
However, I like their "Chalice", and their Cider (sorry, Cidré :p), though nothing special, is a thousand times better than Strongbow.

Falls City. Don't even think they still make it but it was only drinkable at 35 degrees and below and gave a horrible headache the next day.

This is disappointing to me. Never had a DFH anything, but as a Del/Hiero/Dan the Automator fan I was hoping it would be good, and worth maybe tracking down.

Worst beer LATELY... DFH Positive Contact. I respect Sam more than any other brewer out there so it was a great upset.

LTownLiquorPig said:
This is disappointing to me. Never had a DFH anything, but as a Del/Hiero/Dan the Automator fan I was hoping it would be good, and worth maybe tracking down.

Just goes to show there's no accounting for taste. Positive Contact was my wife's favorite DFH beer this fall, and I liked it immensely as well!

No way is Peroni the "worst commercial beer" an average foreign macro knockoff at worst. I really can't see how that made the list.

I can see Positive Contact on here however as I love Deltron 3030 (kid koala and del are awesome) but puke at the slightest hint of cilantro. Seriously, I vomited the last time I smelled that awful poison of an herb, and have done so every time I tasted it.

I love cilantro, it tastes like soap. I also love Brie, which tastes like salty fatty foot fungus.

Latest posts

Back