Has anyone seen this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS_Brewing_Co

Reaction score
Maybe I let it sit in primary to long (2 weeks). The yeast fermented,settled, and now climbing the walls of the carboy. Or maybe just haven't been in the game that long.

image-3944617779.jpg

That's interesting. I would guess you got a second burst of fermentation and it stuck to the sides. Either that, or it was left on it's side for a while. Do you know what the gravity is?

2 weeks is definitely not too long, that is the recommended time for a primary fermentation. Having said this I have never seen this behavior from yeast before (I use opaque buckets). I would say Relax, don't worry and have a homebrew!

Hi SS.
I think what's going on here is the yeast cells are being electrostatically attracted to the sides of your fermenter.

I have seen this before with a 'less than optimal' fermentation when the yeast lacked nutrients either from underpitching, or pitching lots of unhealthy yeast.

Hope this helps...
-ZB

2 weeks is fine, maybe even short for primary if not using a secondary. I have often seen sediment on the sides of my Better Bottle especially at the ribs that are molded in to them to make it more rigid. But I have never seen it so thick. I would suggest taking gravity readings to make sure it is finished then taste the sample. I would bet it is fine.

Yeah, I highly doubt the yeast "climbed the walls," it is just a function of settling and flocculation. The surface of the sides of the carboy are "relatively" rough (microscopically) and offer the yeast a place to "land". I see it all the time in my carboys, not always to the extent in your pictures, however, its nothing strange.:mug:

Cool thanks guys. I didn't think anything was wrong I was just curious. I have another carboy of the same batch sitting just below it and it's not doing that so I thought it was weird. I'm gonna keg it tomorrow. And I just re-did the math in my head and it's been there for three weeks. No I have not checked the gravity yet.

Seen it.

You'll be fine. Unless, of course, if the yeast start climbing out of the fermenter and form a tiny yeast army.

I can just see the future.....using electro magnets to help flocculate the yeast. Might be worth some experimenting with some stubborn yeasts.

Ive seen this on my bottled beer before. I was was storing them in a plastic bin, and every one of the beers near the edge had the yeast stuck to the side closest to the plastic. Im thinking static electricity.

Many of us leave our beers for months in primary without racking. I leave mine a mnimum of 1 month. All you have is slow flocculating yeast that as it is falls is getting stuck on the sides of the carboy. It happens on occasion. No big deal. More than likely when you move the fermenter somewhere it will fall if it doesn't on it's own.

Back