re-use hot tub parts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have access to a hot tub. Wondering if I can jack the pumps / heating elements, filter, electric controls etc etc to step up my homebrewing system.

Any ideas? Reasons not to?

Thank you!

yea, besides the fact that all the equipment was used for making human stew for the last however many years... the pumps are too overpowered, the heating elements need the huge flow rate of those pumps to work without burning out, and the controls have lots of safeguards to make sure that you can never heat the hot tub above 110 degrees, and can never operate the heaters without the pumps.

...among many other reasons not to do this.

Pump - volume is 100 times what you want
Heater - electric (?) only 1500 watts, but might be usable if stainless steel
Filter - no
Temperature control - range is too high for fermentation, too low for mashing

Actually, I was just thinking about this very thing. I bought a house that has a tub with a dozen broken pipes, but the pumps and electrical work fine.

I don't know if the pumps have stainless heads or not, but I would guess you could simply idle them to achieve the same effect. The spa panel itself has a 50 amp gfci in it so that's a chunk of change right there anyhow.

Jokes aside, has anybody robbed the pumps and electric off a hot tub before?

Back