American IPA My 2-time gold winning American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug - get a copy of beersmith, load the recipe as written, then "convert" to extract. Its pretty simple to do. Doing this will really help you understand a lot about the process. We just brewed this weekend before last, doing All Grain - hope it turns out as good as we think it will based on the feedback. Good luck and happy brewing

Wow, this looks like a really good beer. I'm going to brew it next week. I'm scaling it up to 11 gallons to try to finish with 10 gallons after dry hopping and equipment losses. I'm going to ferment half of it with WLP001, and the other half with the new WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast.

Thanks for what looks like an awesome recipe.

Sorry for a repeat question, but I don't have access to Beersmith this week as I'm not at home. Can I use LME instead of the 2 Row? If so, I'm off to the home brew store soon... :)

RobWalker said:
Sorry for a repeat question, but I don't have access to Beersmith this week as I'm not at home. Can I use LME instead of the 2 Row? If so, I'm off to the home brew store soon... :)

You didn't take your computer but you have your boil kettle? Nice.

I'm going to ferment half of it with WLP001, and the other half with the new WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast.

Great idea! Please remember to post back here with your results! Sounds like a great experiment!

Brewed this up today. Have some Willamette I wanted to use up and this looked good. Hit all my numbers. I'll post back with the results. Cheers!

Hi everyone, new to AG, in fact still a virgin. Extract about 9 times, making my MLT and HLT this weekend and looking at my first batch of AG in a week or so.

I am searching recipes and saw this, just wondering why the 90 min boil? Is that normal with AG? hadnt noticed it in other recipes.

Thanks in advance, also I'm a big fan, been reading the forums for over a year learning everything I can about this hobby/obsession!

90 minute boils are fairly common, though it probably depends on the brewer. I do a 90 minute boil any time I use a lot of pilsen malt to drive off SMM/DMS, or when I do a light beer (seems to help round out the flavors.) 90 minute boils can help improve efficiency by starting at a lower pre-boil gravity. My efficiency is best in low OG beers (90-93%). I'll do a 90 minute boil any time a recipe calls for it, or if I'm targeting a really high OG. YMMV, you could likely get away with a 60 minute boil with this recipe.

enohcs said:
Mash at 154 for 60min. I had 70%eff
American Rahr (2 row) Pale: 11.50lbs
American Briess Crystal 20 1.00lbs
American Briess Light Munich 0.75lbs
American Briess Carapils 0.75lbs
American Briess Torrified Wheat 0.25lbs

Chinook (Pellet) 1oz 30min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 30min
Williamette (Pellet) 0.5oz 15min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 15min
Williamette (Pellet) 1oz 5min
Cascade (Pellet) 2oz Dry in secondary

Don't worry about the lack of a 60minute hop addition. The bitterness is spot on.

This IPA won gold in the IBU challenge at the IBU Open in Iowa earlier this year and gold at 8 Seconds of Froth a few months ago.

If you brew, let me know what you think.

I brewed this beer and it turned out great, very drinkable. I have to admit though that being new to brewing and wanting more to experiment rather then be true to style (which will surely gain some frowns), I bastardized this recipe a bit. First I lowered the IBU's some, I used Maris Otter in place of the pale malt, did a seven day dry hop with Citra and now have a wet hop of Cascade sitting in the keg with this beer. Sorry I did not give this recipe a try the way you meant it to be brewed but having had similar beers in the past I felt I wanted to try something I knew I had never tasted before. Thanks for posting this recipe so that people like me can have a baseline with which to experiment!

I just brewed an extract version of this beer. It turned out pretty good by the gravity turned out lower than I expected 1.060.
Grain:
9lb. Pale Malt Extract
4 oz. Wheat Malt Extract
Specialty Grains:
1 lb. Carapils
Hops:
30 Minute: 1.5 oz. Chinook, 2 oz. Cascades.
15 Minute: 2 oz. Cascade, 1 oz. Willamette
5 Minute: 1 oz. Willamette.
I will dry hop 14 days with 2 oz. Cascades

I used a starter of White Labs San Diego Super Yeast.

I almost decided to replace Willamette with Citra hops but couldn't find em' at my organic Homebrew store.

It's fermenting like crazy at 67 degrees.

It's been a few years since I made this. Tis the season for a killer ipa. It's official...I'm making this one this weekend.

It's been a few years since I made this. Tis the season for a killer ipa. It's official...I'm making this one this weekend.

Yeah, this beer is awesome! Thanks for the recipe. Some variation of this will be my house IPA.

I had to mash at 151 to get it to attenuate. I love the balance of hops in this beer. I think the Willamette lends a nice earthy quality to balance with the Cascades. Nice and dry as well with no annoying sweetness that is so common with today's commercial IPA's. This is like a throwback IPA that reminds me of why I home brew.

Don't hesitate to brew this guys! Cheers!

I have cascade on hand and willamette but no chinook.. Could I get away with using something else?
I have centennial, galaxy, EKG as well...

Brewed up 5 gallons. It is chugging away as we speak. Smells like a great one. Thanks for the recipe.

I have a question for you enohcs. Why do a 90 minute boil if your not going to start adding hops until the last 30 minutes? Unless your using a lot of sparge water to raise your efficiency and have to boil it off, seems unecessary. Not knocking your recipe, just curious. I'm thinking about brewing a batch of this but would like to just do a 30 minute boil and be done with it.

I've done 60 minute boils on this recipe- it's fine. One of my favorites.

Other than efficiency, I've heard 90 minute boils help caramelization. There are other reasons, but I'll leave that for others.

BBL_Brewer said:
I have a question for you enohcs. Why do a 90 minute boil if your not going to start adding hops until the last 30 minutes? Unless your using a lot of sparge water to raise your efficiency and have to boil it off, seems unecessary. Not knocking your recipe, just curious. I'm thinking about brewing a batch of this but would like to just do a 30 minute boil and be done with it.

I do 90 minute boils on all my beers out of habit. 60 min should be fine.

For added kick, try moving some of the 30min additions to first wort additions and boil for 60 min. You'll get some fantastic flavor without a harsh 60 minute bitterness.

Man I just tasted my award winning ipa extract recipe with San Diego Super Yeast instead and its fantastic. Second time I've brewed but I research a lot and compiled the recipe and tweaked a tad. I found some citra hops at a local homebrew shop and added a two stage dry hop 7 days each. Split the recipes dry hop in half and added 2 oz. of citra hops each stage.

The citra hops are probably my favorite hops for flavor and smell. I love this beer and I can't believe it tastes so good. Thanks for the original recipe. Without the original recipe I wouldn't have realized that Citra hops will work well with the combination. I tried a beer from Drake's brewing called Aroma Coma. It had a similar recipe but they added Citra and CTZ. So I figured Citras would work well with this recipe.

Brewing this again tomorrow, but I'm gonna sub some galaxy or hbc-342 in for some of the cascade. Just for a different take. This is still the best ipa I've ever made. We'll see how the changes go.

If you wanted to boost the IBU's a bit could you do a 60 minute addition with say an ounce of Cascade or Magnum? Just curious on anyone's takes.

Copbrew133 said:
If you wanted to boost the IBU's a bit could you do a 60 minute addition with say an ounce of Cascade or Magnum? Just curious on anyone's takes.

I looked at my notes the other day and I specifically put that I thought the 30 minute addition alone was important. This thing is pretty bitter. I mean, you'll know its an ipa and not just an apa. If you have to, I would just up the chinook at 30.

Copbrew133 said:

The spirit of the recipe is that it's only late hops. If you wanted to experiment a little, I'd say move your 30 minute additions to first wort (put hops in kettle before any wort). Bitterness is spot on. If you feel it lacks, up the 30 min additions.

I had to brew thurs. the 23 rd. you ever have those brew days where everything goes right? You hit the temps perfect, the water volumes are right on the money, the OG is spot on. I was fortunate enough to have one today brewing this winner. If the flavor is half as gpod as the smell......look out!

Copbrew133 said:
I had to brew thurs. the 23 rd. you ever have those brew days where everything goes right? You hit the temps perfect, the water volumes are right on the money, the OG is spot on. I was fortunate enough to have one today brewing this winner. If the flavor is half as gpod as the smell......look out!

Go lightning!!!

This is my first lager".......it is awesome, better than Stella. Light, crisp
, malty, and a touch of hops. Thanks for the recipe!

This is my first lager".......it is awesome, better than Stella. Light, crisp
, malty, and a touch of hops. Thanks for the recipe!

While the "awesome" part was spot on, you sure you posted this to the right thread? "Lager"? "Touch of hops"? :confused:

dale1038 said:
Brewing this again tomorrow, but I'm gonna sub some galaxy or hbc-342 in for some of the cascade. Just for a different take. This is still the best ipa I've ever made. We'll see how the changes go.

An update... Subbed galaxy for the chinook and half the cascades across the board. This beer is very similar to the original, but not quite as good. Still amazing though. Crazy drinkable at 1 month old. I think I will dry hop with 1/2 willamette next time. Seriously brew this! Thanks again for the recipe.

Just mashed in! Only difference is I had to sub flaked wheat for torrified because my LHBS didnt have any. Looks pretty good!

SloTimes said:
Just mashed in! Only difference is I had to sub flaked wheat for torrified because my LHBS didnt have any. Looks pretty good!

Sounds good. You'll get some nice head with that flaked wheat. I think you'll really like this beer.

Back