DeGroens Weizen Clone By Baltimore Brewing Company?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone on this forum brewed or tried to brew a DeGroens Wheat Beer!
It was one of my favorites when Baltimore Brewing was still in business.
Any ideas....This will be an all grain 10 gallon batch..
Yeast?
60/40 wheat and pale?
Hops? Tetnang/Hallertau?
Thanks!!
:mug:

Brewed by:
Baltimore Brewing Company
Maryland, United States

Style | ABV
Hefeweizen | 4.90% ABV

OK-this is what I have come up with for my 10 gallon batch:

German Wheat Malt 14 lbs.
German Pilsner (2 row) 8 lbs.
Hallertauer (4.8% A/A) 1.5 oz. 60 min.
Tettnang (4.5% A/A) 1.5 oz. 60 min.
Fresh Lemon Zest (1/2 lemon) 2 min.
Fresh Lemon Zest (1/2 lemon) flame out
Hefeweizen IV WLP #380 starter

Plan to brew on Friday.
May have to make some adjustments...:drunk:

I found this review on Epinions and I couldn't agree more with this review!

Spring Time is Always Time for Wheat Beer!

Bavarian-style wheat beers have always been associated with warm weather, and I can't think of a single style of beer that I'd rather have on a sunny warm day. My favorite wheat beer is DeGroen's Weizen -- a true classic!

Style Notes:The most popular and widespread style of wheat beer is the Bavarian weizen (or weissbier). Sweet and refreshing, the beer is noted for lots of yeast-produced aromas and flavors, such fruitiness or clove spiciness, aggressive carbonation, and cloudiness (although some brands are filtered). The beer is brewed using a blend of about 60% wheat and 40% pale malted barley and a special multiple-strain yeast. This is a normal density, normal alcohol beer (about 12 Plato with 4 to 5% alcohol).

Sample Conditions:This is one of my favorites from Baltimore Brewing -- a brewery that doesn't know how to make a bad beer. Most of the samples I've tasted have been served on draft at the brewery. The beer is also widely available in pubs throughout the Baltimore area, and is sometimes available in half-gallon jugs (called growlers).

Evaluation:
Appearance: Very pale pastel yellow color with the traditional cloudiness of the finest Bavarian wheat beers. Super thick, rocky head with aggressive carbonation.

Aroma: Fresh, fruity and spicy with the classic scent of cloves and banana, which at times can seem like those circus peanut candies that we all ate as kids. Some citric character coming through like a slice of lemon.

Flavor: Sweet tasting wheat beer with a little bit of a tart, citric edge to it. Very soft body -- smooth and refreshing. Extremely well balanced with no obvious hop flavor.

Brewery Notes:See my epinion about DeGroen's Pils for more details about this great brewery -- one of the best brewpubs in America.

Like all other DeGroen's beers, the weizen is made using traditional German practices, including the labor-intensive decoction mash process. The beer is unfiltered, in the classic Bavarian tradition.

Overall Impression:I've enjoyed a lot of wheat beers over the years, and without a doubt, DeGroen's Weizen is the best Bavarian-style wheat beer that I've ever tasted from a U.S. brewery. It's a true classic, full of flavor and tradition. I can't imagine a better summertime picnic than a tall glass of DeGroen's Weizen with a few fresh-grilled weisswurst. Mmmmm!
:mug:

http://www99.epinions.com/content_1502060676

Back