Please check my water adjustment idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollisBrewCo

Reaction score
ok so i got my ward labs report a long while ago and after some hoppy beers came out good but not spectacular i decided it was time to get into water adjustment.
heres my starting water profile
Calcium-61
Magnesium-14
Sodium-28
Chloride-48
Sulfate-9
Bicarbonate-190
Chloride-Sulfate ratio-5.33
so using the easy water spreadsheet 2.0 i see this water is well suited to malty beers (helps explain why my coffee porter is stellar :ban:)
My idea for adjusting my water for a more balanced profile for my hoppier and paler beers is adding adjustment minerals to the mash only and not bothering with the boil kettle.
Gypsum- 10 Grams
This puts me in the balanced range and gives me a mash PH of 5.22 which to me seems perfect.
With maltier beers/ beers with more roasted grains i am having a hard time getting the PH up into the acceptable range. adding an ounce (yes 28 grams) of baking soda would get me at least close @ 5.02 PH, adding chalk seems to throw my calcium out of wack too quickly. Generally with beers adjustment free I'm getting 4.83PH for the mash which seems way too low and could be hurting my efficiency (I'm struggling to even hit the low 60's but thats another thread)
in short how does my adjustment idea look for my hoppy or balanced beers and what can i do to raise my PH for the malty/roast beers without using more baking soda or chalk.
Thanks for reading the long post:mug:

Can you list your recipe info like
-Total Grain bill (lb)
-Roasted bill (lb)
-Crystal bill (lb)
-Recipe SRM
-Mash volme (gal)

There is something wrong with your concentrations. I'm assuming that you didn't adjust the sulfate conc to the actual concentration by multiplying by 3. With a sulfate conc of 27, the water report does balance a bit better. You need to use Bru'n Water and you would have known that there was an error.

You are right that this is a pretty high alkalinity water. Dark beers are probably better and light beers struggle.

This water may require dilution, but analysis with Bru'n Water will help you decipher that. In addition, there is a lot of Water Knowledge that will help you understand what you're doing and why you're doing it. EZ Water doesn't get you there.

some numbers for different recipes
Porter
Total-61lbs
Crystal-8.75lbs
Roast-3lbs
SRM-34.4
Pale Ale
Total-56
Crystal-23
Roast-0
SRM-13.7
IPA
Total-63
Crystal-26
Roast-0
SRM-13.1
Generally my mash water is around 17-20 gallons (i do 20 gallon batches) depending on the size of the grain bill
I did download Bru'n Water and i will start putting numbers into that i have used ez-water in the past so it was easier for me but easier is not always better.

some numbers for different recipes
Porter
Total-61lbs
Crystal-8.75lbs
Roast-3lbs
SRM-34.4
Pale Ale
Total-56
Crystal-23
Roast-0
SRM-13.7
IPA
Total-63
Crystal-26
Roast-0
SRM-13.1
Generally my mash water is around 17-20 gallons (i do 20 gallon batches) depending on the size of the grain bill
I did download Bru'n Water and i will start putting numbers into that i have used ez-water in the past so it was easier for me but easier is not always better.

IPA: I agree you could add some gypsum to bias the profile to bitter or very bitter. Assuming 20gals of mashing water

Porter: I would increase your water to grist ratio to 1.8 (if your mah tun can handle that) and use about 27gals for mash water. That with 5g of baking soda could rise you mash PH to about 5.22. profile would me malty.

Pale Ale: Add 4g of gypsum to lower PH to 5.4 and make profile balanced. Assuming 20gals of mash water.

Note on the Pale Ale. If you use a 1.3 water/grist ratio = 18.2gals of water, you would need only 2g of gypsum to get same results.

To raise the mash PH. More alkaline water=higher PH.

As Nilo says, having a greater quantity of alkaline water and the same quantity of malt acidity means that the mash pH is going to be a little higher. Bru'n Water allows you to assess what happens to pH when you change your water/grist ratio.

Back