First Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LS_Grimmy

Reaction score
Just made my first wort chiller with 50 feet of 3/8 copper. I gave it a test drive with the hose and all looks well. I can't wait to see how fast I can get that 5 gallon batch temp down for sure.

WortChiller2.jpg

Anyone else have a pic of their homemade wort chiller

Cheer,
LS_Grimmy

Yeah, nice job though. I built a 40' x 3/8 chiller and also used copper wire to bind it. I actually used 14gauge wire to keep all the coils 1" apart for better wort circulation but I don't have a pic of it. I suspect a few of your top coils will never quite touch your wort which is somewhat of a waste of copper. I guess you started coiling up a corny or something and just kept going until you ran out of copper. This is why mine is only 40' long. I figured I'd find another use for the 10'.

Ya it's a tall one but my pot is huge, and it just reaches the brim. Actually I can lower it a few inches at the top because I have it resting on the outtake for support, but I made it so I can slide the coils up and down if needed. With 50 feet on a 5 gallon batch I'm not to worried if a coil or two stick out :). I really wanted to make sure I hit the entire range for cooling, and not just the lower to mid section.

Glad you guys liked it! Thanks for the feedback

Cheers,
LS_Grimmy

Nice Craig I here those Counter flow wort chiller's are even better!. Maybe down the road I'll give it a go for sure. I'm really happy on how my immersion chiller came out...

Good looking IC Should work great. i decided to go with a CFC only 20 foot. that fifty footer up there is huge.

Nice counter chiller... Ya that big beast is mine at the top. I Gave it a first run today and it got it from 225F to 65F in under 10 minutes :)... so I'm pretty happy with it for sure. (It basically drops about 40F ever 2 minutes). Way better than my ice bath for 45 minutes!

Wow, those look really nice. I hope to make mine soon. . .thanks for the inspiration.

Back