My HERMS build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maltose

Reaction score
After several months of researching HBT and planning my Gas/Electric HERMS, I've finally started putting parts together. Special thanks goes out to Pinup for my stand and Kal for sharing his amazing plans for his own rig. I've got the HLT pretty much rigged up, and I should have the MT and BK finished by next weekend. Then it's on to the control panel.

All stainless steel components
1/2"Tri-clover sanitary connections
Dedicated gas beam rail with Honeywell Y8210U Retrofit on HLT (to be installed)
Two March 809 Pumps
Bobby_M Sightglasses
5500 ULWD E-HLT
5500 ULWD E-BK

I'll continue to add photos when I make more progress. Sorry for the crappy phone shots...

HLT
IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

HERMS coil
IMG_0414.jpg

Welds (done by a friend)
IMG_0419.jpg

Those big valves mounted to the pumps scare me. I've already busted pumps heads, so I'm moving to the SS ones for the durability. Be careful with those suckers!

Just an update on the build...Most of the hardware is finally put together, I just have to finish wiring up my control panel.

68262_868593933709_7805721_47760728_1836898_n.jpg

Very nice looking rig!!!! What did you do, or how did you get those kegs so shinny!!!

Thanks! Followed Bobby_M's instructions with the Gator Fine/Polishing pads with various levels of rouge. It probably took 3 hours per keg, but they were pretty beat up

Man, that's some serious bling...

So, are you planning to brew in the dark, or wear sunglasses?
:D

Planning on brewing in my basement, at least during the winter months. Then I'll have to put on some polarized sunglasses :mug:

I also just got in my Mini Brew 15G Conical Fermenter. I'm hoping to make the entire system closed (Cool, Transfer, Pitch, Ferment).

The system will be semi-automated with Auber PID's for the HLT and BK. Also have some room for BCS in the future if I decide, especially for fermentation in the adjacent room.

Update 1/10/10:

Here's a series of shots from my control panel. It's a 16x14x8 Hoffman panel, that is primarily influenced by Kal's brewery. All cuts were made with a Green Lee Unibit and Dremel. I decided to leave out the amp and volt meters. The heat sinks at the top are secured by JB Weld and silicone to allow the heat sink to be fully outside the box and weatherproof. There are 3 RTD inputs, 2 pump, 2 element and 1 main power outlets. I'll add photos after it's all wired up. Again, thank you Kal for being an inspiration to many new E-brewers.

photo3.jpg

photo.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Make sure you have adequate ventilation in your basement. No need to get CO poisoning while making your inaugural run on that setup!

It will be ventilated, but for now will just be 100% electric. I'm pretty sure after I start doing electric batches, I won't go back to propane, unless i go off-premise.

got the relays and terminals wired up. i'll clean up the wiring after the door instruments are wired in.

165721_876910083079_7805721_48006503_6938743_n.jpg

AWESOME!!!

I am in the early stages of building a system. Really just ordering pieces right now. My next order is the Steel. Was going to get 2x2 but thinking 1x1 may be fine. Curious what did you use?

AWESOME!!!

I am in the early stages of building a system. Really just ordering pieces right now. My next order is the Steel. Was going to get 2x2 but thinking 1x1 may be fine. Curious what did you use?

1x1 stainless. Marcus (Pinup) made my stand and it is some quality work.

i see you used elbows for your herms coil. With welded coulpers, how did you get the elbows to be at the correct angle. I have welded fittings, waiting for them to come back from the welder and was looking at ordering my couplers. I was just going to order straight ones and use a tube bender to make nice angles on my copper. but if I can get the elbows to seat correctly, rather have them. Do you just teflon tape until it seats tight with the correct angle?

i see you used elbows for your herms coil. With welded coulpers, how did you get the elbows to be at the correct angle. I have welded fittings, waiting for them to come back from the welder and was looking at ordering my couplers. I was just going to order straight ones and use a tube bender to make nice angles on my copper. but if I can get the elbows to seat correctly, rather have them. Do you just teflon tape until it seats tight with the correct angle?

Yup, took a couple times before I had the right amount of tape. I may try to put some TC's for a quick disconnect in the future.

what did you coil you herms around? Was thinking a corny, but that seems to small of a diameter.

I tried with a coil of 1/2" stainless and kept crimping it. I ended up buying the 50' 1/2" stainless wort chiller from Midwest and cannibalizing it. Worked great

not a bad deal for 99, do you recall what shipping was?

maybe $10-15, plus, after the cannabilization, i have another 25' coil to possibly upgrade to a DITCHES design, and the long piece that runs to the top may be used to make a whirlpool return port

Where did you get the plans for the control panel??? Did you come up with it on your own???

Before the build, I had basically no experience in electronics, aside from hooking up a car stereo or two.

Kal's Website changed everything. My entire wiring diagram is based on his control panel. I left out a couple things and redesigned a couple of aesthetic aspects, but it is essentially a clone of his system. :mug:

Alright guys, finally got a leak test going today on my HLT and MLT. Doing some more work on the control panel and installing heating elements this weekend. :ban:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good :) How long is your HERMS coil? I saw you bought a 50' IC, but you also said you had 25' coil for another project, so did you cut the IC in half, or.. ?

Cool, I'm thinking of doing 25' of copper for the HERMS in my 10 gal system. Trying to make sure it won't be undersized. I suppose if it ends up being undersized I can just replace it with a longer coil.

Got the control panel mounted today. Heating elements and temp controllers work alright, but I've got a loose connection in one of my RTD cords. Just need to do some cable clean up, install my water filter and a new overhead light and I'm in business. Not pictured is a door to the right leading to my backyard. I'm thinking at least at first to keep it open with a fan to kick out steam during my boil. Hood vent will have to come later. Stoked! :mug:

final.jpg

Got the light installed today, water filter and cleaned up some wiring. Need to finish wiring RTD'S and brew the first batch. Cheers

april.jpg

It was build by Pinup and I assume that he used some polishing wheels, similar to what I used on the kettles.

Very nice. You'll enjoy it. I'm brewing on a brutus 20 and will be moving to 3 kettles soon. You gave me some ideas.

Very nice. You'll enjoy it. I'm brewing on a brutus 20 and will be moving to 3 kettles soon. You gave me some ideas.

Thank you. I'm glad to give some inspiration to more builds. All the ideas came from HBT users, most notably Kal for the control panel. He's put in some long hours to ensure builds like mine will turn out safe and professional.

One thing I did recently change were my Auber panel mounts for Kal's XLR probes. My novice skill at soldering tiny wires ended up giving me noise on a couple of my probes, so I bought some fabricated XLR cables from Kal. Very neat and well packaged. Installed them in the box in under 30 minutes. I'll post photos soon.

Back