Free bottles...FOREVER!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munklunk

Reaction score
So, I occasionally work at a craft beer bar here in the city. (Yea, you can see where this is going.) Last week I came to sudden realization. Instead of trolling Craigslist for bottles, I could just not be an idiot and save the ones I throw away at work. I told my other bartenders/server to save me any brown bottles and put them aside for me. Within 30 minutes I had 50 bottles lined up. At this point, I also realize that at said restaurant I have access to a commercial washer/sanitizer machine. I proceed to wash and san everything, and walk home with two cases of 12oz beer bottles. I plan on doing this bi-monthly. Kinda feel like an idiot for not thinking of this before.

Most bars will gladly give you bottles. So will beer drinkers who normally recycle them or toss them out. There's a lot of useful stuff you can get if you just ask. I read on here that a lot of people were having trouble getting stuff to store their bottles in, and were buying all kinds of containers. I went to a local wine/beer store and asked if I could have a few of their boxes with sturdy dividers in them. They were happy to get rid of them, and they work perfect for storing beer bottles. Instead of buying a bottle tree I put a clean towel on the bottom of the box, put the divider in, and turned the bottles upside down. Viola, drying rack.

I tryed this at a couple local bars in my areas. The bartenders said they would but they already had a company that comes around collecting all the bottles, which they pay the bar. I just spread the word to my friends and have recently told them all to hold off on the bottles as I have too many :)

Back