1st sour this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krelja

Reaction score
I've been reading up on how and what to pitch as far as yeast goes and I'm still a little confused. I know I don't want it sitting on the yeast cake for too long. So my qusetion is should I use some dry yeast to start and then move it to my designated sour carboy and add the roselare. I don't want to have the wild yeast in 2 different carboys for fear or it screwing up a different beer. I have packets of US-04, US-05, and nottingham. I figured I pitch one of them and let it get down a little bit then switch it over to the secondary and add the roselare and let take its course. The expected OG is right around 1.060 so what do you think just chance it a pitch the roselare then rack and let it go or pitch some dry let it sit for a couple days then pitch the roselare and forget about it for a year?

When I made my Flanders Red, I pitched just the Roselare blend and racked to secondary after 30 days in primary. It's been aging in secondary since 10 May and there it will sit for another year.

if you're using roselare, you will want to pitch that into primary. it is a blend of everything you will need that is designed to work from primary on. if you were adding you own bugs, you would primary with a different yeast and pitch the bugs later.

To contrast, when I made my flanders red I fermented first with S-04 to get down to 1.016. Then, I racked to secondary and pitched the roselare blend.

However, I was merely looking for something less sour than Rodenbach Grand Cru, from what I understand if you want more sourness, it is best to do what flyangler18 suggested. However, if you are looking for something more along the lines of Rodenbach Classic, like I was, I would suggest following my method.

The time in the carboy remains the same for both beers in my opinion.

I'm definately looking to make it as sour as the grand cru. The only reason I was thinking of using dry yeast at first is I don't want to really have to worry an infection in a later beer due to having all the bugs in the primary. I don't want to dedicate 2 carboys to sours if I can't get the bugs out of them. I'm pretty much set on using 1 of the carboys strictly for sours but I don't want to use 2. So is the primary less likely to hold the bugs in?

even if its a better bottle you really have nothing to worry about

Ive made many sours in a better bottle and the next batch was a "clean" beer, its not like the pedio/lacto/brett/sherry flor are super bugs, they are just as easily killed by bleach/iodophor/etc as anything else, in fact the bugs that are in the air/surfaces in your house are probably much harder to kill

Just looking for some reinforcement on the situation. If worse comes to worse I'll just have to have 2 sours going. As of now I have 3 glass carboys and 2 better bottles. The only problem is that I'm going to jumping up to 10 gallon batches soon so I guess I'll need more caboys as it is

Back