Anyone brewing today? Oct. 29, 2006

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to my hefeweizen that had been put on hold for a couple weeks. Just started the protein rest right now, first decoction shortly, thanks to the advice from the Baron von BeeGee a while back. This will be my second decoction mash. :rockin:

I'm just waiting for my latest to finish. It's been slowly dropping a point or two a day and has another 3-4 to go. It's been a slow day, as my greyhounds don't understand about the time change.

david_42 said:
I'm just waiting for my latest to finish. It's been slowly dropping a point or two a day and has another 3-4 to go. It's been a slow day, as my greyhounds don't understand about the time change.
You check your gravity every day? That seems like a lot but on the other hand if it brings you enjoyment then it is worth the loss of beer. :mug:

Brewsmith said:
I'm finally getting around to my hefeweizen that had been put on hold for a couple weeks. Just started the protein rest right now, first decoction shortly, thanks to the advice from the Baron von BeeGee a while back. This will be my second decoction mash. :rockin:
Sweet, a convert to the Church of Decoction. I think you'll like the results for a Hefeweizen.

I was going to brew Saturday but life intervened and I'm aiming for tomorrow. Just a boring ol' single infusion, however :(

Yeah, so far I've only done it on hefeweizen. I'm getting a fermentation fridge soon, so lagers are not far away. I used a really simple gain bill. I was going to have some flaked wheat in it but the LHBS was all out, so it's 6.5 lbs of wheat malt and 3.5 lbs of german pilsner.

I was planning on brewingan ESB today, but man....Im still hungover. Hopefully ill get around to it tomorrow

Brewsmith said:
Yeah, so far I've only done it on hefeweizen. I'm getting a fermentation fridge soon, so lagers are not far away. I used a really simple gain bill. I was going to have some flaked wheat in it but the LHBS was all out, so it's 6.5 lbs of wheat malt and 3.5 lbs of german pilsner.
I really liked the results in the Kaiser's lagers and I'm happy with my Oktoberfest. I might try just a straight up Pilsner with the undermodified malt I have.

Didnt brew, but I just bottled an IPA that Ive been neglecting. Feels good to have that behind me.

- magno

I brewed my first two batches. Liberty Cream Ale, and Happy Holiday Ale, both from Midwest. It was a long day. Started cleaning and sanitizing at 9am, finished about 5pm. Takes a while to get things boiling on the ol' electric stove, and the ice baths took longer (and more ice) than I expected. Other than that, it went pretty well. Forgot to take an OG on the Liberty Ale. I took a taste of the Happy Holiday (the OG sample) and it already taste pretty good!
So far this morning the Liberty is bubbling, but not the Holiday, yet.

Kegged a brown ale yesterday and brewed up an Orange-Cranberry Ale and 5 gallons of Apfelwein. Finished them both later yesterday afternoon and am not seeing any airlock activity yet. Used Dry Montrachet yeast for the Apfelwein and WLP011 European Ale Yeast for the Orange-Cranberry Ale. Hopefully, they'll be bubbling away when I return from work tonight.

Next up: Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale. It looked too good to pass up! :)

:mug:

Brew a Bridgeport IPA Clone (my second brew) on Saturday. Was a good day, hit my OG target right on (1.056), but I forgot to reduce the bittering hops from the recipe for a full boil.

Should still be good, guess I'll have to see what Bridgeport at 62 IBUs tastes like. =)

I need more fermenters, more bottles, and more time now. =)

-Dylan

Brewed up the "Holiday Cheer Ale" from the Papazian 'bible' with a little modification. Some light malt extract and some amber, as opposed to all light. This was my first real (1-2 hour over the stove for steeping and boiling) 5 gallon brew and everything is looking up after a day and a half.

Pitched Safale US-56 American Ale yeast directly into wort and stirred for 5 minutes as opposed to making a starter...
OG was 1.050, which seemed reasonable.
Brew sits at 68-70 degrees.
I got about 20 bubbles per minute coming through the airlock. :) :) :)

Latest posts

Back