My new secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
I didn't have any other use for it, and it was given to me free, so here it is:
DSC_01350001.JPG
It's going to be a secondary vessel for my sour beers, because it would be harder to clean than glass or plastic and because its only five gallons. First up is my Leap Year Sour, which is a very pale high gravity oud bruin( 2-Row, Vienna, Munich OG:~1.078). It may get fruit(cherries,raspberries,blackberries) added once a year, every year for three years or I may take half out every year and add a new beer every year. The idea is to keep it going until nearly next leap year, bottle ~6 months before and drink the next Feb. 29th. We'll see.
All I did was remove the keg guts, clean, and throw the stopper and airlock in. I like it, easy to carry, doesn't let light in, small footprint. :D

Thats pretty sweet but your leap year sour is even cooler! Did you start another thread on it...did I miss it?

Alamo_Beer said:
Thats pretty sweet but your leap year sour is even cooler! Did you start another thread on it...did I miss it?

No I didn't, I just said I would be brewing something to 'commemorate' leap year in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=57018
Any excuse to brew :D Its 66% Pale, 20% Vienna, 13% Munich, 1% Dark Candi (to get it to 10 SRM, which is still technically the lowest SRM and oud bruin can be) Its going to get Roeselare and maybe some other bugs from another fermentation going on now. I wanted it to be a certain color, and when I saw that 10 SRM was roughly what I wanted and still technically an oud bruin that was what I shot for. I've never seen one that pale, but I guess they can be. Like a pale golden brown.
I'm leaning towards the 'solera' type idea as opposed to the fruit now. Maybe only replace 1/3 instead of half though. We'll see.

If I replace a 1/3 each year, bottle at 3 years 6 months, bottle condition for six months, and the drink on leap year 2012 it would look like this:
Original beer percentages and schedule:
March 1st 2009: 66%
March 1st 2010: 44%
March 1st 2011: 29%
September 1st 2011: Bottle
February 29th 2012: Drink

Does that make sense, is my math right, good schedule?

Back