Russian River Brewery or Lagunitas with Kids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groo

Reaction score
Taking up a trip to Wine Country in a couple weeks and would like to stop by one of these breweries for lunch.

Any know which one (if any) is more receptive to little kids (3 and 2).

Also if there's any other beer centric places worth visiting on the drive from Sonoma to Florence, OR? We're driving the coast.

Thanks

Lagunitas' atmosphere is more kid friendly, kind of an outside picnic feel, with dogs allowed. Russian River has a more bar-like atmosphere even though they do have high-chairs. As far as food goes they are probably about the same for kids. If I were to take my kids and had to choose only one, it would be Lagunitas. However, my wife would have a hard time stopping me from going to Russian River for some Pliny and Consecration though.

Trust me, Russian River is a better choice for kids. Lagunitas is better if you want to tour a brewery.

Russian River
Kids will love RR for the Pizza. Not only does Vinny make great beer, he has one hell of a chef. The Pliny bites are hands down the best appetizer i have had. Its more of a "sit down and enjoy the food" feeling with world class beer as a plus. Its also in down town Santa Rosa so shopping and site seeing is a perk. Best food out of all the local breweries. Location is a perk for the kids. Park in back.
menu-page-1.png

menu-page-2.png

Lagunitas

Lagunitas has an outdoor area that normally has a few people with dogs. But is VERY beer oriented (amongst other things). It is also located in the heart of an industrial area and has nothing to visit when your done drinking/eating. Bar food is OK. Here is there menu.
TapRoomMenu12-03-15.jpg

Beer stops from Sonoma...

Moylans (novato)
Lagunitas
Bear Republic
Russian River
Third Street AleWorks (santa rosa)
Moonlite brewing (Fulton)
Lucky hand brewing (novato)

On your way up the coast.
Ruths McGowan's (cloverdale)
Mendicino Brewing (Hopland)
Ukiha Brewing (ukiha)
Ele River (Fortuna)
Lost Coast Brewing(Eureka)
Humbolt Brews (humbolt)
six rivers (McKindlyville)

If your not taking 101
Etna Brewing (etna)
Mt. Shasta Brewing (Mt.Shasta)
Serria Nevada (Chico)
Sutter Buttes (Yuba City)
Feather River (? Above Paradise is all i remember)

I think i got them all. Let me know if i missed one.

There are about 10+ more in the Sacramento area
Thare are about 20+ more in the Sf bay as well

Thanks for all the info. JoeBRonco, which of those breweries is a can't miss for a growler or lunch.

We are actually going the coastal route then cuttin across to Lassen then Tahoe and back to LA.

These are the "cant miss"
Moylans (novato)
Lagunitas
Bear Republic
Russian River

* Russian River has the best food by far. If you want a lunch or dinner then stop there.
* Lagunitas for the brewery tour (even better if your 420 friendly)
* Bear republic if you want to walk up and down Healdsburg (great little shops, kinda has that Napa Vally feel to it).
* Moylans if your down for Darts, cute bartenders and great Irish beer (kiltlifter is great!)
* Third Street has some of the most under rated beers in CA. They are overshadowed by Russian River. That's where the locals go.
* Moonlite brewing & Lucky hand brewing are cool locations to visit with a great staff and good beer.

I dont think they want to drop that far south. It seems like its more of a Sonoma up trip. Moylands is only 15 min down and are Marin's sister brewers.

On a more personal note, i have never had a beer from Marins that i "loved". Most of there beers are just OK.

Off topic, but after seeing RR's menu I cant believe they really charge .50 - .75 cents for a sample. Thats just cheap. Our bar would never think of charging someone a few quarters to try a sip of one of our taps. Obviously were not giving away free sampler sets, but charging for a single sample is just stingy.

These are the "cant miss"
Moylans (novato)
Lagunitas
Bear Republic
Russian River

Great info thanks. :mug: Heading up north for some wine tasting with the wife in Oct. I Planned on RR and Lagunitas for stops. I'm going to have to fit Bear and Third street in there now.

Great info thanks. :mug: Heading up north for some wine tasting with the wife in Oct. I Planned on RR and Lagunitas for stops. I'm going to have to fit Bear and Third street in there now.

My suggestion since your semi local if you want an EPIC beer day, this is what i do about once every three months... Times are what we shoot for but it never ends up happening. 75% of the time we skip moylans.

You BETTER have a DD on this trip...

Bear republic @ 10 am
20 min drive
Russian River @ 12 - lunch
3 min walk
Third street @ 2pm
15 min drive
Lagunitas @ 3:30pm - Tour
15 min drive
Moylans @ 4:30

Drive to the bay

6-8PM Dinner at one of these locations:
* Sauced in livermore (BBQ and Bourbon house - Really is epic BBQ, try the Redneckikin Nachos)
* Zachary's Pizza in San Ramon (by far the BEST Chicago style pizza this side of Chicago)
* Handles in Pleasanton (If your still in the mood for more beer, Chad from the brewing network brews here with over 30 taps... They also tend to have Cantillon)

Off topic, but after seeing RR's menu I cant believe they really charge .50 - .75 cents for a sample. Thats just cheap. Our bar would never think of charging someone a few quarters to try a sip of one of our taps. Obviously were not giving away free sampler sets, but charging for a single sample is just stingy.

I can tell you have never been to the Russian River brew pub. Its overwhelming the first time you go there. SO MANY great beers on tap, you really want to try them all. Its very easy to look at the beer menu and want to taste 6-7 different beers. If you just want to taste one or two they wont charge you, or at least they have never charged me. They bring the tasters out on a wooden tray that normally look like this.

5416579011_3639cb6080_z.jpg

(the small 10oz glasses you see is are pliny the younger)

Its a way to let people taste many different beers and not worry about getting too drunk. They will normally charge more for sour tasters (thats why it says "as quoted") $.50 for 1 taste = $4 for 16oz of beer. Still a great deal.

My suggestion since your semi local if you want an EPIC beer day, this is what i do about once every three months... Times are what we shoot for but it never ends up happening. 75% of the time we skip moylans.

You BETTER have a DD on this trip...

Bear republic @ 10 am
20 min drive
Russian River @ 12 - lunch
3 min walk
Third street @ 2pm
15 min drive
Lagunitas @ 3:30pm - Tour
15 min drive
Moylans @ 4:30

Drive to the bay

6-8PM Dinner at one of these locations:
* Sauced in livermore (BBQ and Bourbon house - Really is epic BBQ, try the Redneckikin Nachos)
* Zachary's Pizza in San Ramon (by far the BEST Chicago style pizza this side of Chicago)
* Handles in Pleasanton (If your still in the mood for more beer, Chad from the brewing network brews here with over 30 taps... They also tend to have Cantillon)

Nice, thanks! Trip advisor has nothing on you. Going to swap a Napa day for Santa Rosa.

I think we are going to hit RR and stop by Third Street for a growler. What's the beer at Third Street that is growler worthy? Unfortunately I can't drag my kids on a back-back-back brewery vacation so I try to sneak one in for lunch or dinner.

We can probably hit one more on the way up the coast but it's all about timing so I'm guessing somewhere near Eureka.

Any idea how Fifty Fifty brewing in Truckee is?

Nice, thanks! Trip advisor has nothing on you. Going to swap a Napa day for Santa Rosa.

LOL, i have more info on Napa for when you want to take a trip there. LOL. I'm a member at 3 wineries and take a trip at least once a month as the little lady has family out there. LOTS of family. There's a 99% chance that i'm getting married at one of the wineries too. :drunk:

Took my 2 & 1 year olds to RR... they were napping and we were able to snag an outdoor spot literally 5 feet from my car. Once awake, everyone there seemed to enjoy their company. Plus great beer.

That said, I actually prefer Lagunitas beers...

I think we are going to hit RR and stop by Third Street for a growler. What's the beer at Third Street that is growler worthy? Unfortunately I can't drag my kids on a back-back-back brewery vacation so I try to sneak one in for lunch or dinner.

We can probably hit one more on the way up the coast but it's all about timing so I'm guessing somewhere near Eureka.

Armstrong is a good Strong Pale.
All there Barleywines are amazing.
If they have "Bad Santa" get a keg full ;)
There White cat Vanilla Porter is good.

Really depends on the mood your in. Its all good beer. Just think, they have to compete with RR for business.

Its been a long while since i have been there and i wasn't really "into" beer at the time. I was still in my PBR stage and had not stepped out of the crappy beer kick i was in. Nothing good or bad to say. I guess ill have to put that one on my list to visit next time i drive through.

Back