Pilsner/Kolsch/Blonde 1st AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreshZ

Reaction score
I am going to try my first AG BIAB batch some time next month. I will have 11 batches under my belt at that point and most have been PM BIAB.

I want to try something simple and light (4.5- 6.0 %). I can keep the fermenter at about 64-67, but I don't think I can truly lager yet. Looking for something like a Czech Pils with light body and color, but some hop flavor. Anyone try a pilsner with ale yeast? I've heard kolsch yeast could work?

Or am I better off going with some sort of blonde ale recipe and choosing my own hops?

Try a Kolsch, much more interesting. I just finished one and it is probably one of the best beers that I have ever brewed. Perfect for the hot summer days. Ferement it in the low to mid 60's with Wyeast 2565. I use a blow off tube for this yeast because it really gets active.

MW66 said:
Try a Kolsch, much more interesting. I just finished one and it is probably one of the best beers that I have ever brewed. Perfect for the hot summer days. Ferement it in the low to mid 60's with Wyeast 2565. I use a blow off tube for this yeast because it really gets active.

Ok, however, I don't have the ability to do a starter yet. No flask.

Any dry yeast that would work? Any suggestions on a recipe?

I didn't do a starter this past brew. I used a Wyeast 2565XL smack pack. Let it rise and then dump it in. It took off full blast by the following morning. Keeping the temperature low is key for a good kolsch. The first one I did it got up close to 70F. This time it got up to 66F at it's peak, but I quickly soaked a couple of T-shirts and wrapped it around my carboy. The evaporation effect brought it back down. My basement is about 63F, but the yeast activity will raise the beer temperature. This 2nd version is even more cleaner than the first and the first was good too. Good luck.

Don't rule out a good Cream Ale...I make mine with Pils as a base and use Kolsch yeast (though WLP029). But, in your situation, you could use US-05 or K-97. There are plenty of recipes around, especially Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops. I make mine with German Pilsner and Corn and dial up the hops. This gives a Pils-esque dry ale.

White lab's Kolsch yeast is nice and exactly within your beer style and fermentation temperature parameters.

Flasks are nice for starters, but not necessary. Any sanitized container, glass or plastic, can do the job. I prefer glass, but plastic will work.

I'd go for a Kolsch or Blonde Ale.
Both are great when you keep them simple and let the ingredients speak for themselves.

US-05 for the Blonde Ale and WLP029 for the Kolsch

Biermunchers blonde with and extra lb of grain is fantastic. I've been using the WL East Coast Ale and love it. For your starter, just use a 2 liter growler. 4 cups water, 2 cups of light DME. Boil for 15 minutes (use some yeast nutrient) cool, put in growler and pitch yeast. Cover loosely with alum foil. After activity stops after a day or so, put in fridge for the yeast to settle.

Back