Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I brewed this today and it was my first 10 gallon batch. Everything was going well until I went to add my second addition of hops at 35 minutes. I realized that I had been looking at the 5 gallon recipe when I added my bittering hops at 55 minutes. So basically I added .25oz of the centennial at 55 minutes and added the rest .75 at the 35 minute mark.

Curious as to how this will turn out.

On a positive note, I hit all my numbers and actually came out at 1.041 with a little over 11 gallons. I don't think I will be brewing very many 5 gallon batches any more. :mug:

I'd like to see proof of that. Danstar recommends rehydrating, Safale makers do not. There are probably reasons for that.
Go to their website if you want proof.

Pitching instructions: Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C ± 3C (80F ± 6F). Once the expected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to30 minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20C (68F). Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes and then mix the wort e.g. using aeration.

Safale does recommend rehydrating, and every yeast expert out there does, too.

Well I tried this recipe for the first time and just took my first hydro sample after 2 weeks in the primary. Dang that is going to be a nice quenching summer brew! I have been doing BIAB for my last 4 batches and was getting between 70-75% efficiency and then for whatever reason I got 88% efficiency with this brew. My OG was 1.047 and FG is 1.011, so at 4.7% ABV it's a little higher than I wanted but I won't let that ruin my day :) I'm still trying to get my mash temps down with BIAB so once I got to about 153F I cut the heat and wouldn't you know it, it was at 152F still after an hour. So I'm not sure if that's part of the reason I got a little higher efficiency.

I also just started kegging, so I was wondering if this sounds like a good strategy to help clear the beer a little before carbing it up? I was going to transfer to the secondary (keg) after 2 weeks in primary, let it sit in the keg uncarbed for 2 weeks at 40F, and then right when I hook it up to the gas dump out a pint or two until it really starts to look clear. I'm hoping that will get rid of any more yeast, etc. at the bottom of the keg and the just let it start carbing up. Does that sound good?

Next up, another BierMuncher recipe, Blue Balls Belgian Wit, cant wait!

Thanks

W

I also just started kegging, so I was wondering if this sounds like a good strategy to help clear the beer a little before carbing it up? I was going to transfer to the secondary (keg) after 2 weeks in primary, let it sit in the keg uncarbed for 2 weeks at 40F, and then right when I hook it up to the gas dump out a pint or two until it really starts to look clear. I'm hoping that will get rid of any more yeast, etc. at the bottom of the keg and the just let it start carbing up. Does that sound good?

Thanks

Look at BM's post regarding using gelatin finings when kegging your beer. I started using it and my beer is always super clear.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/gelatin-finings-53912/

"I use a tablespoon per five gallon batch.

Mix it with hot tap water in a sauce pot, about 1 cup of water per tablespoon.

Stir it up and let it sit for 20-30 minutes to hydrate and bloom.

Put the pot on the stove and heat until it looks like it’s about to start boiling…don’t boil.

Cool slightly (I put my pot in a cold water bath).

Add it (gently) to the secondary (or keg) as you’re racking your beer."

:mug:

Thanks Hopenstein. Ok I think I will do that then, let it sit for a week or two with the gelatin at 40F and then start to carb it up. I did see somewhere where someone said to cut the dip tube a little shorter if you use the gelatin directly in the keg? Do I have to do that? or should it work just fine without doing that?

My first batch was a hit at a bbq this weekend. 13 days old and while still cloudy it sure was tasty! I will keep this on tap I think!

Do I have to do that? or should it work just fine without doing that?

I cut the dip tube on one of my kegs and wish I hadn't. If you don't cut it, you will just have to pour a couple of pints when you first tap it to get the gunk out, and then it will run crystal clear.

Y8Mug.jpg

I am brewing this tomorrow and i have one question. Should i rehydrate the yeast prior to pitching and what temp, or should i pitch directly to wort?

Got the ingredients today, will be brewing this weekend.

I was very tempted to get Citra hops instead, but wanted to stick with the original recipe to see how the original version is meant to be.......after that who knows!

For anyone who brewed this using all citra hops, what hop schedule did you use and what would you do differently?

Just finished brewing this. Everything went perfectly. Only thing I had to do was sub the centennial for amarillo since i didn't have enough centennial, and I needed it for a batch of Janet's brown i'm doing sunday. I guess i can't call it centennial blonde anymore, but it should turn out ok.

I intend to do a full boil brew in a bag with this recipe. The first time the recipe is listed it states boil time 60-75 min, but further on down the page it states 60 min. What affects will a longer boil have. Would I still add hops on the 60 min schedule with a longer boil. Also, should I mash out at 170 for 10 min? Thanks.

cgrivois said:
I intend to do a full boil brew in a bag with this recipe. The first time the recipe is listed it states boil time 60-75 min, but further on down the page it states 60 min. What affects will a longer boil have. Would I still add hops on the 60 min schedule with a longer boil. Also, should I mash out at 170 for 10 min? Thanks.

I always do 90 min boil to get rid of DMS. Yes, add hops at 60 min. For my second batch I did BIAB. I did not mash out. Just sparged with 168F water until I collected the needed amount.

Just completed this on my brand-new outdoor burner. I was a little concerned with a new boil-off rate, but it was close enough to what I had stovetop that I came out pretty much where I wanted (5.25 gallons, into the fermenter). Also, my efficiency was great today for some reason. BS predicted 1.041, I hit 1.047. Not complaining, though.
7170421625_daa7823853_z.jpg

Here it is- clearest into-fermenter beer I remember brewing. I did have to alter the recipe just a little. the LHBS was out of Crystal 10 and I didn't think about replacements so I used Crystal 40, cut it back to a quarter pound and upped the Vienna to .75 pounds. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks for the recipe, Bier, and I'll try to remember to report in a week or two! Kyle

I used Pacman yeast on this and it came out great. 1.008 FG and crisp, clean, and clear. The pacman finishes so clean there is no aftertaste at all. 3 weeks since grain and it is a very drinkable summer beer. Making 10 more gallons of it this weekend and I think I'll just use the Pacman again. Not sure it could get any better. Thanks for the recipe.

Just completed this on my brand-new outdoor burner. I was a little concerned with a new boil-off rate, but it was close enough to what I had stovetop that I came out pretty much where I wanted (5.25 gallons, into the fermenter). Also, my efficiency was great today for some reason. BS predicted 1.041, I hit 1.047. Not complaining, though.
7170421625_daa7823853_z.jpg

Here it is- clearest into-fermenter beer I remember brewing. I did have to alter the recipe just a little. the LHBS was out of Crystal 10 and I didn't think about replacements so I used Crystal 40, cut it back to a quarter pound and upped the Vienna to .75 pounds. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks for the recipe, Bier, and I'll try to remember to report in a week or two! Kyle

man that is a LOT clearer than mine after primary. here is mine:
2cp3i4g.jpg

Aussie, that's way cloudy then the majority of my beers turn out. You said that was after primary? My photo was going into primary, post-boil. I'll be kegging probably today or tomorrow, and will update. So far the airlock bubbles smell great! Kyle

Well I have to say turned this one over in 16 days from brew day to drinking and draining the keg for my son birthday was a huge hit with both sides of family. Thanks for a great beer. I'll be doing this again for sure.

Aussie, that's way cloudy then the majority of my beers turn out. You said that was after primary? My photo was going into primary, post-boil. I'll be kegging probably today or tomorrow, and will update. So far the airlock bubbles smell great! Kyle

Yeah this is after racking to keg from primary. Looked much clearer from brew kettle but I used refractometer at that stage. Just poured a test last night after being crash cooled and on c02 for 5 days, still really cloudy. Hope it clears up in the next few weeks for a neighborhood BBQ.

Just brewed 15 gal of this last night. One of the smoothest brew days yet! Very easy. Only problem is my efficiency was up to almost 90%! Beersmith estimates 6% abv. Might this be too much for the style? How would it affect flavor? I've never had this problem, usually its the other way- less efficient. Is there anything I can do at this point?

theGuapo said:
Just brewed 15 gal of this last night. One of the smoothest brew days yet! Very easy. Only problem is my efficiency was up to almost 90%! Beersmith estimates 6% abv. Might this be too much for the style? How would it affect flavor? I've never had this problem, usually its the other way- less efficient. Is there anything I can do at this point?

I had the same "problem", if you want to call it that. I got 88% efficiency when I normally get around 75% at best. I mashed a few degrees high at about 154. But my hydro sample was delicious so I am glad I didnt use any extra top off water to bring the OG down. My advice would be to just roll with it this time around, see how you like it, and then take notes so you can make adjustments for the next go round. You know there's going to be another! Cheers

Brewed up 10 gallons last satureday, followed BM's recipe but added 6 extra pounds of pale malt an upped the hops a bit. Og cam to 1.047 and 5 gallons got the nottingham yeast, the other 5 got wyeast 1056. The both took off within 8 hrs and the nottingham carboy seems to be ready for racking already with a sample taken and its at 1.008, while the wyeast carboy is still bubbling away. Is this normal?

boostedf150 said:
brewed up 10 gallons last satureday, followed bm's recipe but added 6 extra pounds of pale malt an upped the hops a bit. Og cam to 1.047 and 5 gallons got the nottingham yeast, the other 5 got wyeast 1056. The both took off within 8 hrs and the nottingham carboy seems to be ready for racking already with a sample taken and its at 1.008, while the wyeast carboy is still bubbling away. Is this normal?

notty works crazy fast..... I think some said wlp01 and 1056 make better beer if you don't mind the extra time

I did a ten gallon batch and split into 5 with Notty and 5 with 1056. They both went down to 1.006-1.007. I kegged them last night and the hydrometer sample from the 1056 tasted better than the Notty, but we'll see once they're carbed. I brewed mine on 26 May, left for a few weeks and had my wife crank the temp from 67-68* down to 40* on 10 June. I never really got to watch the fermentation.

My 1056 was pretty old, I think Nov 2011, and I made a 1.5 liter starter on the stir plate with it. Notty was just pitched like a normal, fresh dry yeast. 1056 seemed have things churning in the carboy faster. After that, I was out of town.

I think I'll be using 1056 or similar in the future.

I've brewed this twice...and its so good!!!.....this is officially one of my house beers too :) thanks for sharing the recipe.

I just brewed my 3rd batch of this Centennial Blond. I'm using the Wyeast 1056 with the starter on the DIY stir plate. I don't even have room for it in my keezer. I'm just going to let it age till I kick another keg. My son is jazzed! He wanted to make sure I was using the modified recipe.

We're drinking all this crazy stuff. I love this home brewing, I walked by the beer freezer at the grocery store today & scoffed. This is the BEST beer I've ever had. I've been to 2 beer festivals here locally and this stuff just blows all the craft breweries away!

BM is an ACE!

Brewed about 15 gallons of this for an event called pints4paws (Homebrew fundraising event for local animal shelter), had slightly darker mix of crystal malt on hand (cara-vienn and crystal 60). Because of a broken fermentation chamber i had to fix and just being busy i brewed it about 12 days before the event. Won runner up for fan favorite! Thanks for the awesome recipe BierMuncher!

jamesseth said:
Brewed about 15 gallons of this for an event called pints4paws (Homebrew fundraising event for local animal shelter), had slightly darker mix of crystal malt on hand (cara-vienn and crystal 60). Because of a broken fermentation chamber i had to fix and just being busy i brewed it about 12 days before the event. Won runner up for fan favorite! Thanks for the awesome recipe BierMuncher!

Was that event in Tallahassee? I believe my buddy brewed up a Blueberry Pale Ale and was serving at that event. We need one of those here in Chicago!

Was that event in Tallahassee? I believe my buddy brewed up a Blueberry Pale Ale and was serving at that event. We need one of those here in Chicago!

Yes, that was in Tally, this was my first time brewing for it. Last year I wasn't a part of the club yet and was just drinking, serving and drinking was way more fun! A couple friends and I are getting a beach house together, one is brewing this exact recipe - I'm going to try it this time with some malted rye and flaked rye. We'll see how it goes.

Just tapped into this tonight. It's "lighter" than I expected. I'm gonna make this a few times before I change anything up. But so far I think a little biscuit malt might be delightful.

Back