I need to understand step mashing using Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megavites

Reaction score
I'm planning to do a Hefeweizen this wknd and it calls for a multi-rest mash.
This recipe will have 11 lbs of grains with a 30min rest at 122 and a 45min rest at 152.
Using Beersmith, and a stiff intial mash (1.00qt/lb) I'll introduce 11qts at 131 deg.
Now my question is, for the second infusion, I'll be adding 8qts st 200 deg
for a total of 1.73 qt/lb.
Does this seem within normal parameters? Just looking for some blessings
from the Hefe guru's. :confused:

Your calculations are right, and 1.7 qts/lb is thin but still OK. If you want the mash after the step infusion to be thicker, then use a thicker mash at the protein rest, maybe only 9 qts. Then you can add 6 or 7 qts for the step to get to 1.3-1.4 qts/lb. That would still give you some room if you want to mash out at the end.

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
I take it then that you are doing a step infusion mash?.
That's correct. 1st time. We'll see how it goes. I see
your in BC. How far from Whistler? I remember consuming many Whister Lagers when I've been out there.

Lil' Sparky said:
Your calculations are right, and 1.7 qts/lb is thin but still OK. If you want the mash after the step infusion to be thicker, then use a thicker mash at the protein rest, maybe only 9 qts. Then you can add 6 or 7 qts for the step to get to 1.3-1.4 qts/lb. That would still give you some room if you want to mash out at the end.
That sounds like a better idea. I'll have to check to make sure the step infusion
is not above boiling. But I agree with you. I'd rather be at 1.4qts/lb so that there's
room to mash out. I know step infusion is probably not the best way to do this
but I don't have a way to heat the MT as I'm using a cooler. I guess I just need
to make sure I stir it in (gently, no foaming!) so I get the entire mash to temp.

Latest posts

Back