Drinking green beer... makes my stomach go funny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddux91

Reaction score
Just had a sample of my first batch of home-brew, just a basic coopers "real ale" extract kit.

It has spent 1 week in primary, 1 week in secondary, 3 days in bottle (planning to leave it for around 9 days). It has been sitting around very tempting, so decided I would have one just to "test" it out.

Had 3 longnecks (750ml), tastes pretty dam fine, nice carbonation (although very little head, which recedes to nothing quickly).

~30min later, stomach starts to go crazy, massive gas and cramps.

What the hell is going on? Whenever I drink beer, I never have problems at all, never gas/feeling sick.

Is this normal for homebrew to cause this?

It is not normal for homebrew to cause this. Homebrew is beer so if beer never makes you sick, homebrew won't. I wouldn't drink anymore until they are ready though.

Any food before or after? Could be it on an empty stomach, or something you had eaten

I tried a beer of mine yesterday thats been in bottle for 5 days and had no issues -- but I also had some bread in my tummy since I was making beer bread :)

I am guessing that it is the suspended yeast that your system is having trouble with.

But there is a simple solution to your problem. Don't Drink Green Beer.

no_green_beer_tshirt-p235769496249519618t58d_210.jpg

your beer is extremely green at this point. probably still has lots of yeast floating around in it. really you should of left it in the secondary for 2 weeks and in the bottle for 3 weeks before even thinking bout drinking it. i know its hard with your first brew but be strong. if it helps brew another batch to take your mind off the first one.

+1 on the yeast... I know it's hard to wait, but it pays off when you leave your beer in primary longer...

Did you drink the beer directly from the bottles or did you pour into a glass like you're supposed to?

Homebrew does contain yeast, unlike most commercial beer (which gets filtered). Especially if you drink from the bottle, you're drinking a lot of yeast, which can give you beer farts.

It is normal if you drink from the bottle.

Plus you drank three 750ml bottles. That's a lot of beer!

I didn't catch that part. It's definitely the yeast. Since the beer was so green and there was so much yeast in suspension, he's probably brewing up a new batch in his stomach right now.

Back