promash software help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailman

Reaction score
i just recently purchased promash and i really like it but am struggling in one area..

i am currently doing several ciders and of course with that.. using apple juice.. i would like to put these recipes into promash however it calls for pounds and not gallons..

my question is..

is there a way to add the apple juice into your inventory and have the specific gravity of the juice linked as gallons instead of pounds? and if not how do you work around this? is there another way to enter it?

i appreciate any advice or suggestions, id really like to keep up with the ciders im brewing so that i can get the alcohol content im looking for and i know that promash would be a great asset for this if i knew the proper way to enter the juice.

If you know the og of the juice, can't you just weigh it?

Edit: Better yet, measure the OG of the juice and multiply that by the volume you have - that will give you the exact wieght of it and you can put that in Promash.

From the opening page, try going into "Extra" at the bottom right. Then go to "new" at the top right. Click "fruit" and enter all the fields. It should then allow you to use it as an ingredient.

ok i was on promash message board and someone had this question:

***Every spring I allgrain brew maple beers with all maple sap instead of water.

Mash, sparge etc.

Is there a way to edit/add/modify the program for this in any way?

In the past I have added maple sap in lbs with its gravity in the fermentables area but I am not sure if this is correct for calculating OG etc.***

now here was one response.. do you think that this sounds like what i should do for the juice as well? i understand what chairman is saying and brewpastor as well (however with fruit i cannot link the SG for the juice)....

****The main concern here is what is the PPPPG contribution from the Maple Sap. If your source is consistent then what you can do is simply take a hydrometer reading of the sap itself before anything else is added. That hydrometer reading will tell you the point per pound per gallon (ppppg) number you will use.

Next, in the Grain database, create a new entry called "Maple Sap". Be sure to denote it as a "Sugar", not a grain. Enter the Gravity Potential from the hydro reading you took of the sap. Be sure to save the database when you are done....

Now, this is where a little cheating comes in. Create a new recipe, add the "Maple Sap" into the grain/malt list....For every gallon you use enter in 1 lbs of Maple Sap. So if you are brewing with six gallons, then use 6 lbs. This will insure that the gravity for every gallon of maple sap used is incorporated. It's a small cheat but it works.

You will note we already have an enter in the database for Generic "Maple Sap" and list the gravity potential as 1.009 with SRM color of 3.0. You can change that if your numbers (from the hydro readings of your sap) do not agree.****

maybe im overthinking this.. i just would like to have a nailed down recipe.

Back