Brewing with Molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolf

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience brewing with molasses? I'm thinking about brewing something where the majority of the fermentable sugars come from molasses, unless the taste would be too strong. I'm also trying to think up things that would go well with it, as in what else to add other than just molasses.

Any ideas? Anyone know the SG for molasses?

Anyone have any experience brewing with molasses? I'm thinking about brewing something where the majority of the fermentable sugars come from molasses, unless the taste would be too strong. I'm also trying to think up things that would go well with it, as in what else to add other than just molasses.

Any ideas? Anyone know the SG for molasses?

might be too strong...
I know Turbinado sugar ("Sugar in the Raw" made right here in maui by the way...) leaves quite a bit of molasses/dark rum note if used in primary - I used 2 pounds in an Apfelwein recipe instead of corn sugar -and man... that Molasses/dark rum nose and flavor is definitely there. I even continue notice it after 2 pints, when I'm sloppy on the stuff. (it's not unpleasant -just VERY noticeable) I would think you would need to be careful with pure molasses -too much and it'll be way overpowering I would think.

Using some molasses for an Apfelwein recipe sounds like a good idea. I might just use the turbinado sugar instead of molasses, or maybe one pound turbinado and one pound molasses. I haven't gotten a chance to look around and see the different grades of molasses I can get my hands on.

I haven't seen many non-beer recipes that use molasses, so I'm eager to try it, or to find out why no one brews with molasses.

Using some molasses for an Apfelwein recipe sounds like a good idea. I might just use the turbinado sugar instead of molasses, or maybe one pound turbinado and one pound molasses. I haven't gotten a chance to look around and see the different grades of molasses I can get my hands on.

I haven't seen many non-beer recipes that use molasses, so I'm eager to try it, or to find out why no one brews with molasses.

I'd do a 1 gallon test batch...

In Hawaii Basic Applejuice (house brand) is not cheap... 7.99 a gallon ...Good applejuice (Treetop) is worse... 8.99 gallon, better applejuice (martinellis) is real expensive 10.99 a gallon - and the healthfood store brands (good stuff AND comes in 1 gallon glass) is just STUPID @ 15.00 a gallon.

don't even ask what I paid each for 4 quart bottles of knudsen blueberry juice.

I wouldn't make a drink from straight molasses. Reportedly, it tastes like the worst dark rum you can buy, and they distill it to flush out a lot of the bad flavors. If you're in a place where you can distill your drinks to make rum, maybe. Otherwise, I'd find something else to make.

A little molasses goes a long way. I've used as much as 10 oz in a 5 gallon batch of cyser & it was right on the edge as far as overpowering the honey. I'd think fermenting just molasses & water would taste like a really nasty rum. Regards, GF.

Ok, so I'll use it as a flavoring agent, more of an adjunct role.

I was searching through the forum, and it seems that every once in a while someone tries to ferment molasses. They then get told that molasses is only good for making rum. Kind of funny.

Haven't gotten around to it yet, I've run out of primaries.

Hopefully I can get my hands on some cheap 1 gal ones, and then I can get more experiments going.

Haven't gotten around to it yet, I've run out of primaries.

Hopefully I can get my hands on some cheap 1 gal ones, and then I can get more experiments going.

well you can buy a gallon of topshelf applejuice in a gallon glass jug - pour off a quart, add a FEW ounces of high grade molasses, and a can of concentrate - top off for headspace with what you poured off (drink the rest with breakfast) and pitch it with the yeast of your choice and see what she does... you'll be out 15 dollars max AND end up with a nice "exparamental" glass gallon jug. the narrow mouth jugs take a #7 stopper... IIRC - the wides take a #9 I think.
DO EET!!!

12 ounces of molasses in a 1.065 beer took 6 months to mellow to the point of drinkability. Unless you really, really, really like the flavor ...

Last year i made a 5 gal batch with 1 whole pint (500 ml) of damn molasse as an adjunct...

It tasted just that... molasse...

I recommend using it very sparingly... cause a little goes a very long way on the taste. :cross:

I used 8 fluid ounces in the ginger beer I made a few weeks ago. When I tasted it I didn't notice the molasses but that was probably because of all the ginger I used. Next taste I'll report back. I used 2 ounces in a lighter ginger beer I made last night, I'll let ya'll know how that turns out as well.

For cheap 1 gallon (4 liter) containers try Carlo Rossi, cheaper than apple juice and not half bad. I fermented my JAOM in the container my water came in (plastic milk jug) and it is fine. I have noticed most juice comes in #1 plastic bottles but I don't know if they are the same as a better botte.

I have noticed most juice comes in #1 plastic bottles but I don't know if they are the same as a better bottle.

Chemically, it's the same. I use #1 plastic bottles that I bought apple juice in.

According to their website, they change it a bit physically. Something about getting the molecules to align better.

For those who aren't aware, there are 3 basic types of molasses.

1. First molasses-no bitterness, has the highest sugar content of the three.

2. Second molasses- slight bitterness, some rum-y and burnt flavors.

3. Blackstrap molasses- this is the bitter, burnt one that most people are used to. I would not put this in a beer.

To make this post on topic, I picked up 40 lbs of Hula girl honey, a kiawi/misquet honey, it was kind of dark and no near the flavor of molasses. Needless to say all of the mead I made with that has a very strong flavor to it that will most likely take years to mellow if it does.

I
In Hawaii Basic Applejuice (house brand) is not cheap... 7.99 a gallon ...Good applejuice (Treetop) is worse... 8.99 gallon, better applejuice (martinellis) is real expensive 10.99 a gallon - and the healthfood store brands (good stuff AND comes in 1 gallon glass) is just STUPID @ 15.00 a gallon.

Lucky we live Hawaii, as long as we can afford it.
Saw an ad that Star Market had 1/2 gallon tree top on sale for $2.50, bought everything left by the time I got there, now I have 6 gallons of basic cider fermenting. :)
While I was there, walked over to Longs, they had 5 lbs of amber honey on sale for around 8$, picked up 25 lbs, (max allowed).
I was tempted to go back in and use a different teller but decided against it. I have a real problem with morals and ethics.

The next batch I make, hopefully an improvement on my current, I'm gonna use about a 1/4 cup of molasses to darken it up and add some flavor. I'll let you know how it comes out.

FYI, if you're going to be using more than about 6 oz of molasses in a 5-gallon batch, use a blow-off tube. I had my first bucket explosion yesterday. :(

$40, and 3 hours wasted. Not to mention the cleanup time. At least I don't have carpet in my house.

Back