Help I want more carmel flavor in my Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilbert

Reaction score
I'm making a Nut Brown Ale and I want it to have a good carmel flavor in the finished product.

When I brewed I upped the Crystal by a 1/2 #

I just racked to the secondary last night and tasted and it didn't have the carmel flavor I was looking for.

My question is: Is there anything I can put in the secondary to give it more carmel flavor or should I just let it sit in the secondary and let it mellow out?

Thanks

Not sure how much caramel you used, but I use 2# of 60L in mine for a 5.5 gallon batch. I too like the caramel flavor, and this is the reason for the whole pile o' caramel malt. I'm not sure you can do much about it now that the beer is in seconary...I say just let it condition and enjoy. Next time, try more caramel and also try mashing at a little higher temperature which will result in a higher final gravity and a sweeter, more malty beer. This will help bring out the sweet caramel flavor even more. I like to mash my Brown Ale at 154F for 60 minutes if I'm going for a sweet brew, or 152 if I'd like a more traditional northern english brown ale.

Thanks. That's kinda what I figured now that it's in the secondary the flavor is what it is.

I made myself a note to bump up the caramel next time. The beer is good it's just not as complex as I wanted it.

I hope once it sits it will get better.

I haven't actually brewed this modified recipe yet, but I plan to for my next brew day. It's an 11 gallon batch, and includes a bit of wheat malt for body/complexity, and just a bit of Special B for some increased toffee/raisin flavor. I'll let you know how it turns out.

How Now Brown Ale: 11 gallon recipe
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%

Grain
17.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
3.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4.40 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.20 %
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.10 %

Hops
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.8 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
2.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBBU

Mash @ 154F for 60 minutes

Let me know because I am thinking about doing a wheat beer soon and I would be curious to see how that tastes

hilbert what kind of crystal did you use?40+?I just made a extract brown with 4 oz. of 60l and it is very caramely:mug:

What Lovibond was your crystal? C60L is the most common. I've found that using half C60L and half C120L gives excellent results.

I haven't actually brewed this modified recipe yet, but I plan to for my next brew day. It's an 11 gallon batch, and includes a bit of wheat malt for body/complexity, and just a bit of Special B for some increased toffee/raisin flavor. I'll let you know how it turns out.

How Now Brown Ale: 11 gallon recipe
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%

Grain
17.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
3.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4.40 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.20 %
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.10 %

Hops
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.8 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
2.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBBU

Mash @ 154F for 60 minutes

+1 on the Special B. I use it in my Brown and it balances well with the Chocolate. Sweet & Slightly Roasty

I forgot to mention that this was an extract recipe

I used 2# of Crystal 60 in the steep for 20 mins before the boil

I don't know if I would want to add more grains. Would it hurt to steep the grains for a longer time or would that release tanins? I was thinking of steeping the crystal for an hour.

What Lovibond was your crystal? C60L is the most common. I've found that using half C60L and half C120L gives excellent results.

I like this idea. I may try to split the crystal.

What happened was I was shooting for a newcastle and I ended up w a dark killians

Thanks Guys

Back