Normal or abnormal? (pictures)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkbrew

Reaction score
Does this look normal? This is in the secondary, racked from the Primary today (it looked the same way in the primary bucket) thick slimy looking, did this within a couple hours after racking . I have just never had one do this before. (3rd batch) I used a different yeast this time.

StephensQuad020.jpg

StephensQuad024.jpg

StephensQuad018.jpg

How long did this beer sit in primary. That there is a krausen. The little yeasties were not quite done yet.

If that is a bad thing then all of our beers would be ruined.

I would be worried that this has never happened to you before.

look familiar

IMG_0911.JPG

Looks like Krausen. All is well, the yeast is just still active. You transfer it over pretty soon after pitching the yeast (like within a week)?

Looks like fermenting beer. Next time wait till the krausen falls before even thinking about racking.

Yeasty goodness! Looks like you racked to the secondary too early. Next time, skip the secondary unless you need to dry hop or add fruit.

Hey, isn't that illegal in Alabama?:rockin:

I wouldn't have racked that...it still fermenting! That's krausen and that tells you everything is going fine. Did you check gravity? Racking to secondary is when your fermentation is winding down. Those pics tell me that your not winding down yet.

HA, this is the second week, It was in the primary for a week, bubbled for 7 days, when I opened the lid I was surprised to see 2 inches of krausen still sitting on top, I had to poke my racking cane through it. It's still bubbling and it created that krausen in about 3 hours.

Fermenting at about 57 deg. F

HA, this is the second week, It was in the primary for a week, bubbled for 7 days, when I opened the lid I was surprised to see 2 inches of krausen still sitting on top, I had to poke my racking cane through it. It's still bubbling and it created that krausen in about 3 hours.

57 is low. that is why this is taking so long to finish. IMO

Yea, let the beer be for at LEAST 2 weeks and fermentation won't kick off again.

Yeasty goodness! Looks like you racked to the secondary too early. Next time, skip the secondary unless you need to dry hop or add fruit.

Hey, isn't that illegal in Alabama?:rockin:

I don't know , first I am told it isn't then I'm told it is.

If it is then how does my LHBS have 5 gal. carboys sitting everywhere fermenting? :D

Back