Sanitizing a CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokey

Reaction score
Just finished building my CFC per Cheyco's design (very, very easy!), and was wondering: how do all you CFC users sanitize, drain, keep clean, etc. your CFC? I have read about storing them with sanitizer solution in them, is this good practice?

pokey said:
Just finished building my CFC per Cheyco's design (very, very easy!), and was wondering: how do all you CFC users sanitize, drain, keep clean, etc. your CFC? I have read about storing them with sanitizer solution in them, is this good practice?

I rinse mine out with water then fill with ioudphor (sp?) and store. When I'm ready to use it again I rinse with hot water (left over sparge water) let it drain and it's good to go.

One word of caution, I have not seen Cheyco's design but the hose on the outside has to be able to handle the high temp or you'll melt a hole in it.

hope this helps, Jim

I boil water and PBW then circulate it through before and after every use. I then circulate Star San through it before I use it.

Don't store Star San in a CFC, I just blow it out with Co2.

I connect mine to the faucet and run hot water through it for a few minutes, drain, fill with quat sanitizer and cap for next time. At the start of a brew session I will drain the old solution, replace with fresh, drain before connecting to the kettle. I will run a pint of hot wort through w/o counter flow water to purge any sanitizer and to use the thermal properties from the heat to hopefully kill anything that may have been missed. This is discarded and then chill as normal.

Back