Stir bar path and effectivness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBugeater

Reaction score
I see videos of stir bars spinning on its proverbial axis and assuming this is the normal operation. I cannot get my stir bar to spin like this, rather it locks on to the magnet and travels in a circular motion all the while attached to the magnet. I get a small dimple or minute whirlpool at the top of the water level and the slurry definitely is being stirred and in good motion.

Any tips to get the bar to spin rather than travel on the magnet? Or is this a 'who cares' 'it doesn't matter' type of event?

Thanks

I have to start mine really slowly and the stirbar will rotate on a central axis, then slowly pickup speed...

I have to start mine really slowly and the stirbar will rotate on a central axis, then slowly pickup speed...

That's what I do too. If I start it too fast then the stir bar kicks to the side of the flask and gets knocked around.

Back