Madness with ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loweface

Reaction score
I was wondering, if an enzyme is not broken down in the process of converting the starch in grain to sugars would there be enough enzyme to convert both the starch from the associated grain and an additional non-grain starch source? From what I've read it's common to add sugar or DME to make up for convertion efficencies that are lacking. I realise additional starch will not help or may hinder efficienies. Various beer producing Countries run purity laws that lead to a stong tradition in great beers but isn't there a little room for the more wacky experimentation in small batch home brewing?

Crazy or just insane?

rmck1 said:
I was wondering, if an enzyme is not broken down in the process of converting the starch in grain to sugars would there be enough enzyme to convert both the starch from the associated grain and an additional non-grain starch source? From what I've read it's common to add sugar or DME to make up for convertion efficencies that are lacking. I realise additional starch will not help or may hinder efficienies. Various beer producing Countries run purity laws that lead to a stong tradition in great beers but isn't there a little room for the more wacky experimentation in small batch home brewing?

Crazy or just insane?
What you are talking about is adding adjuncts. Common adjuncts include oatmeal, flaked barley, and corn. But as was mentioned anything with starch can be converted if the starch is made available to the enzymes (often requires cooking the ingredients first) and the enzymes have enough concentration. Pale malts have a much higher enzyme ratio than Pale Ale, Munich and other more roasted malts.
Craig

One of the things to look up is the diastatic power (often listed in °Lintner) of you malt. This gives you a rough idea of the malts ability to convert not only itself but additional starches. :eek:

From what I understand, the big breweries that use lots of adjuncts use a mix of 2-row and 6-row to help with the conversion. 6-row has more dp than 2-row. You could always add a little six row in to help conversion.

When you finally go all grain, you're going to have a lot more to think about then playing with potatoes. It's an adventure in and of itself. Bring in Mr Potatohead a year later.

Latest posts

Back