Where to buy graduated cylinder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklordenron

Reaction score
Where can I acquire one? Which size do I need for hydrometer readings? I've been using the plastic tube that came with my hydrometer, but it leaks bad and I can't get accurate readings;) does anyone have a link to a single one, as all I can find are sets for around 30 dollars which I don't need.

My LHBS has a glass cylinder they sell specifically for use with hydrometers (they also have some plastic ones, but I like glass as it seems easier to clean well. LINK
I suppose an actual graduated cylinder could do you double duty if you needed something you could also accurately measure small volumes of liquid in...

Any idea how large I would need? I seem to recall someone saying 250ml was perfect for hydro readings but am now unsure.

Revvy said:
You don't need a graduated cylender, there is no need for graduations on it, nor does it need to be glass, you're looking for the wrong thing...

Nope. I want to be able to use it for measuring liquid additions also. One less thing to take up space. The swmbo would like it that way...:/

Also, that plastic one says it isnt meant for high volumes of alcohol. What does that mean? Not for liquor or big beers over 11% ABV??

You just need anything the right shape (and plastic not glass). a single rose vase from the corner market. The hydrometer has the scale on it, not the cylinder.

Just get a cheap thin tube. Graduated cylinders are better than beakers or flask for measuring volumes, but if you want to get accurate volumes, you need to be using volumetric flasks/pipets.

Also, that plastic one says it isnt meant for high volumes of alcohol. What does that mean? Not for liquor or big beers over 11% ABV??

Well I don't know this is a 12.5% Barleywine sitting in my under 10 dollar hydrometer test jar....Methinks whoever wrote whatever you read doesn't know jack...

75862_451283689066_620469066_5427695_1841038_n.jpg

You just need anything the right shape (and plastic not glass). a single rose vase from the corner market. The hydrometer has the scale on it, not the cylinder.

Exactly....

And if you want graduations to measure whatever you think you need ot measure (I've never needed to measure anything with a graduated cyclinder in brewing in all the years I've been brewing) on them, a sharpy works well, you can measure and mark in permanent marker and STILL be cheaper than a glass one.

Just only do it one one side, NOT the side you want to try to read the tiny lines on the hydrometer with. You'll find trying to read the where the SG falls at the meniscus will be kind of difficult if there's etched lines going down the side. You think you can't get an accurate reading now.

I thought you complained about the cost you saw...we're telling you you don't NEED to spend money on glass labware...methinks we probably have been doing this far longer than you Darklordenron, so we know what works, what's necessary or not. ;)

Darklordenron said:

I think that means large volumes, not high ABV.

Where can I acquire one? Which size do I need for hydrometer readings? I've been using the plastic tube that came with my hydrometer, but it leaks bad and I can't get accurate readings;) does anyone have a link to a single one, as all I can find are sets for around 30 dollars which I don't need.

cynmar.com

Revvy said:
I thought you complained about the cost you saw...we're telling you you don't NEED to spend money on glass labware...methinks we probably have been doing this far longer than you Darklordenron, so we know what works, what's necessary or not. ;)

I was referring to the shipping costs being more expensive than the measuring instrument as well as only needing one instead of five or seven differing sizes. I still can't believe my LHBS doesn't have them in stock at all.
What works for one may not work for another, I might remind. Same goes for tastes in beers. That last part just made me feel bad :/

Back