another secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
I too have previously brewed beer(2 pale ales) in a primary only and then bottled.

This is my first time to use a 5 gallon primary carboy and then after 9 days, I racked it into a secondary ( a 6.5 gallon carboy).

Question is this. The carboy has a lot of head space and as far as I can tell is hardly bubling(the airlock doesnt seem to do much). Is there a chance that I will get oxygenation that will mess up the beer. I dry hopped this time and the hops just seem to sit on top of the wort.

Any help , advice, words of encouragement are appreciated.

You should definately use the 6.5 for primary and the 5 for secondary as no fermentation is supposed to take place in the secondary, it is only a clearing vessel. You shouldn't get any oxegenation though, CO2 is heavier than O2, so it will blanket the brew protecting it.

I let my caramel cream ale (5gal) sit in a 6gal secondary for 3 weeks and didn't notice any issues.

McKBrew said:
I let my caramel cream ale (5gal) sit in a 6gal secondary for 3 weeks and didn't notice any issues.

You can, sure, but if you have a 6.5 and a five then the 6.5 is meant for primary and the 5 for secondary. The extra head space in the 6.5 is for the krausen. You want as little headspace as possible in secondary. Putting it in the 6.5 gallon won't wreck it, but the 5 is better.

Oxygenation usually happens during transfer. If you used a racking hose and kept the flow at a slow rate you shouldnt have to worry. My last batch, a honey ale using 2 lb honey in addition to 7 1/2 lb DME, did continue to ferment through secondary and even into a second racking. Took almost a month to complete fermentation

Back