What to do with 2 bags of Nugget Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FizorZed

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm new to home brewing so i've stuck to kits thus far. This weekend my Dad was at a market and bought two medium baggies of homegrown, dried nugget hops. Other than being dried out they are still whole hops, not in pellet form.

I'm not ready to move onto advanced beer making yet (using grain malts and whole hops) Since only dealt with pellets so far I'm curious what I can do with these whole hops in this quantity. Can I add them to a kit for an additional flavor? I'm not sure what quantity is necessary.

Thanks

I have been using nugget alot lately due to a good deal I revieved.

I use them for everything from bittering to aroma and love them.

They are also what I grow in my garden so I have also used them in whole cones and love the taste. I have made a harvest ale with 100% of my own and it turned out great.

So you have alot of choices. Use just alittle more whole than pellets when exchanging them in a recipe. Someone might have a more technical number but I would say 1oz to 1.25oz of cone.

Nugget is really good for a general bittering hop.... Couple times a year I made a double IPA with Nugget and Summit hops (grain bill based on pliny the elder)
Scored a 45/50 at the last beer comp I entered...

Thanks for the advice, all. Sounds like it's a pretty popular hop variety. Is there a particular way I should store it? Right now its just in the baggies sitting in my boil kettle in the basement. Dark and cool. How long can I expect it to last?

Thanks for the advice, all. Sounds like it's a pretty popular hop variety. Is there a particular way I should store it? Right now its just in the baggies sitting in my boil kettle in the basement. Dark and cool. How long can I expect it to last?

Yikes, get them in a freezer, they will last a lot longer. 2+ years in the freezer airtight.

_

Back