Twist off bottles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djinn88

Reaction score
My friend and I bottled some California Common a few weeks ago and didn't notice that some of the bottles we were using were twist offs. It was with a wing capper, not a bench capper. We were trying a few bottles tonight and it was the first time we noticed.

The beers were both twist off with our caps on them. Both of the beers were well carbonated tonight. How long will these last without losing any carb or flavor/freshness? I'm only asking because we overlooked the fact that these were twist offs and were always told that you can only bottle with pop off bottles.

UPDATE: The next one we tried with a twist off was not carbonated properly. I guess the first ones were lucky. There are only one or two more that were bottled incorrectly. So I guess the short answer to this is to only use pry off bottles? We meant to of course, but were surprised to see that the previous twist offs worked out so well.

My wing capper decapitates twist-off bottles.

I've seen in many other threads with this question (You're not the first), that several people regularly use twist-off bottles with great success. But I think they are using bench cappers.

If a twist-off slips into my bottling day I know right away - Because the cap gets firmly attached to what's left of the neck of the bottle :mad:

Latest posts

Back