Growing Hops in Phoenix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon O

Knapsnatchio
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I live by south mountain. When is the best time to plant? It can hit 120 degrees in the summer in record years. Normal is about 115 for this time of year. I'm geussing that isn't great for hops. Anyone here grow?

Mine are about 6 feet tall but they are suffering. I've got them shaded and they get about 15 minutes of water a day. I just hope they survive this year.

Here's a shot from early June.
2573907803_6b5768dbb1.jpg

I also have about 8 bines growing in the Christopher Creek Area.

The best time to pu them in the groung would be as sson as you can get the rhizomes in April.

BTW: I'm on the mountain side of Baseline across from Lowes.

Where did you get your rhizomes? I'm not doing anything else with my back yard so I'll definately do it next year. Be nice if I could plant them in march instead of april. March always seems to be plenty sunny.

You actually live really close to me. I'm on 7th street and baseline so lowes is like 5 miles down baseline.

I think Hops direct, but all of the online HBS will have them. They are all released about the same time. I believe that the hop farmers dig them up after the threat of frost in the NW is clear.

If mine survive (Cascade), I can give you some cuttings, provided that that is OK for a 1 year old plant.

BTW: I highly recommend planting them in the most shade possible. Our sun is like no other.

Tell me about it. Took my kid to the tempe beach part and got absolutely scorched in 30 mins flat. Blistered 3 days later.

The place I have set aside for the hops gets direct sunlight from about 10:30 to 3pm then its shaded. I'm hoping that will work well.

BTW, your 4 tap fridge is freaking amazing. I just picked up a temp regulater for my fridge in the garage from brewers connection. One of these days I'll put a tap on it.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm up here in the Northwest part of the valley (just south of Lake Pleasant) and have been curious at trying my had at growing them myself. I'm just wondering how yours are doing and if you could post pics?

Thanks!

How are those hops going now?? I want to start growing next year, but am still unsure of how they'll do in Phoenix.

Thanks

I planted a couple of hop rhizomes at the beginning of April at my house in Chandler. Watering wise, I soak it well and let it dry for a day or two. I have
mulch all over to help keep the ground moist as well. The plants get sun for a bit in the morning and is shaded by a large tree up until 4 or so, then shaded by my house. I just noticed last week that one of them is starting to sprout up! :rockin:

How are those hops going now?? I want to start growing next year, but am still unsure of how they'll do in Phoenix.

Thanks

The Sun absolutely destroyed them in late July when the earth had rotated to such a point they were being blasted by the afternoon Sun. This year I've just been cutting them back as I want them to get more root growth. Next year I'll try again and as a toycruiser23 was saying, I'll keep mulch around the base in an attempt to keep them moist.

An update, I planted 2 rhizomes and one has popped up. It's doing fine but I'm thinking I may want to still provide more shade for it.

Here is some more follow up:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/phoenix-second-year-hops-116785/

Essentially, if you get them to survive 1 year, they'll continue to come back even if they get scorched to the ground in July. In September they'll come back but obviously without any appreciable hop yield.

Despite our intense sun, we just don't get enough hours of daylight as they do in the PACNW. The hop cones you get are considerably smaller.

I have hops in the Payson/ Christopher Creek area and they don't suffer the heat, but the yield is still smaller than other parts of the country.

Thanks Rob. I did harvest about 1oz. last year from the Cascade. They were starting to get yellow spots and were quite small compared with other parts of the country in the pics I've seen here on HBT.

I'm new here, reading with interest on growing hops in Phx, & Payson. I also wanted to say that a great place for inexpensive shade cloth is AZ bag & burlap near downtown Phoenix. They have a bargain bin as well as all types of burlap, which I use to shade nearly 100% of my backyard. They have all colors of shade screen to match your home to keep any HOA nosies out of your hair. (knock wood.)
This is a great forum, thank you all.

This is an old post, but to anyone out there in Arizona growing hops I have a question. Should they get shade? I have Cascade and Chinook, and so far they are doing great, but it is still early. I have them along the fence on the west side of the yard that gets shade in the afternoon. Any ideas would be helpful.

Back