buying car tires

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepGuy

Reaction score
So, I realized the other day that one of the tires on SWMBO's car is showing the steel belts. I need to replace it tomorrow, but we're looking at trading in the junker on a newer something or other in the not so distant future. I don't want to put a bunch of money into 2 tires, so how common is it to buy just one tire? Do places sell used tires? I don't think it'll have to last more than about 2 or 3 months, so a new tire is kind of a waste. What do you all think?

A lot of tire shops around here sell used singles. Sure they'd rather sell new, but a buck is a buck. I'd say call around.

Ize

Just reading a new set of tires for the Bugatti Veyron runs $14,000. And it needs a new set every 15000 miles or less depending on driving. It will make me feel lucky when I pay $200 for new tires on my car, or $600 for my truck.

If you plan on keeping and driving the car for any length of time after installing the used tires, I would check into what is wrong with the front end that would cause the rubber to wear down to the steel belts! It may be a safety issue.

John

johnsma22 said:
If you plan on keeping and driving the car for any length of time after installing the used tires, I would check into what is wrong with the front end that would cause the rubber to wear down to the steel belts! It may be a safety issue.

John

Excellent point. And if SWMBO is hauling a kidlet, then IMO buy a cheapie NEW tire that you're SURE will last til you unload the vehicle. No sense in running the risk of the "I've got a FLAT on the road with YOUR son/daughter" phone call. Or worse.

Ize

all good points. No kiddies yet. It's actually a big part of the reason we're looking at something bigger to replace her car. We've only been married about 4 weeks now, but we're looking at having kids. I'd hate to have her stranded on the side of a road, but think that it won't be too long before the car is replaced anyway. Regardless of what I put on it, I'm not sure the car will last anyway. It could die, or be replaced so soon, that I am really just needing a band-aid repair for the moment. She and I have agreed to not put much money into it from now on. We're more focused on getting the entire auto replaced.

the tire place I usually go to has a tire pile out back of all the used tires from when they replace them... the guy only charges me for mounting & balancing which works out fine for a beater car... But definately find out why the threads are showing...

I think the steel is showing because they're simply that worn. In hind sight, I really should have had them replaced some time ago.

You might want to check the wear bars on the other tires. No point in making multiple trips to the tire pile.

Go to any tire dealer and ask if they have andy Factory take offs. those are tires that have been replaced by someone who wants a different brand on their car. Tire dealers give people trade in on their factory ones but it is minimal.

When i had a tahoe i needed two tires and i bought two factory take offs and it cost me like 60 bucks for name brand ones that matched the ones on the rear of my truck.

Look in your local yellow pages for tire places and go to the one that says "used tires" . You should be able to get a tire mounted and balanced for around $20. Write down the tire size you need and call ahead or just have it handy when you walk into the shop. Telling the guy you need two used 15-235/75 radials will cut out the BS of them trying to sell you a set.

Back